Kenyon dominates OWU on Senior Day, but falls to Vikings

A Kenyon swimmer swims freestyle.| SEJIN KIM/KENYON SID/NCAA

The Kenyon men’s swimming team competed in two meets over the weekend, winning easily over the Ohio Wesleyan University (OWU) Battling Bishops, 160-59, on Friday and falling to the NCAA Division I Cleveland State Vikings, 134-108, on Saturday.

The match against OWU was their first home meet since Nov. 9. It was also the Lords’ Senior Day. Before the events began, 12 senior swimmers were honored for their hard work and dedication during their time at Kenyon.

The celebrations didn’t stop there, as Connor Rumpit ’20 and Carter Brzezinski ’20 led the charge in the pool. Rumpit secured two event wins: in the 200-meter freestyle and the 500-meter freestyle. In the 200, he finished with a time of 1:39.96, nearly a full second ahead of teammate Reilly Shields ’20. Brzezinski won the 100-meter backstroke, coming to the line in 50.51 seconds, with Mart Niehoff ’23 following right behind. Joe Black ’22, Fielding Fischer ’21, Cheran De Silva ’23, Cole McMahon-Gioeli ’21 and Luis Weekes ’22 all contributed event wins for Kenyon.

On the following day, the Lords traveled up to Cleveland to face the Cleveland State Vikings, a Division I opponent. Kenyon put up a very strong fight, securing multiple event wins, but in the end were unable to match the firepower of Cleveland State. As he rapidly approaches his final meet as a Lord, Rumpit swam excellently again; he won the 1,000-meter freestyle by over 10 seconds with a season-best time of 9:23.33, and was also victorious in the 500-meter freestyle (4:29.03). De Silva also finished first in the 200-yard butterfly, and Tommy Weiss ’20 won the 100-yard freestyle by just .02 seconds.

In addition to the victories, there were some extremely close calls. In the 200-meter medley relay, Kenyon lost by just .33 seconds. David Fitch ’21 finished second in the 50-meter freestyle, just .09 seconds behind the winner.

The Lords will now look ahead to the NCAC Championship on Wednesday, Feb. 5 in Granville, Ohio.