Lords participate in Wooster Tri-Meet, dominate in relays

Dannie Lane ’22 sprints ahead. | COURTESY OF KENYON COLLEGE ATHLETICS

The Lords track and field team competed over the weekend at the Wooster Tri-Meet, located in the Scot Center at The College of Wooster. The team finished in third place, tallying 64 points, trailing both the hosting Fighting Scots and first-place Earlham College. Various individual victories helped garner the 64 total points accumulated by the team: Sean Lee ’23 secured first place in the pole vault, reaching a height of 3.65 meters, while Ifeatu Menakaya ’21 provided a victory in the men’s shot put, posting an impressive 11.99-meter toss. Menakaya would go on to add a second-place finish in the weight throw with a final distance of 10.74 meters. Benjamin Weiner ’23 was able to secure a third-place finish in the men’s 200-meter dash. Weiner sprinted across the line with a time of 24.17, only a half-second after the first-place finisher, Drake Pence.

The 3,000-meter race was Kenyon’s most successful event, with the Lords taking first, second and third place. Dannie Lane ’22 finished first with a time of 10:16.95, followed by Jason Montgomery ’23 at 10:25.06 and Will Spohn ’22 at 10:37.82.

The only other victory on the track was a team-based event. A distance medley relay team comprised of Tommy Johnson ’20, Ben Stillions ’22, John Burczak ’23 and Vincent Lewis ’20 finished with a clocked time of 11:15.27.

Kenyon’s 4×400 relay team, consisting of Weiner, Aaron Meuser ’22, Chuen Loy ’21 and Calvin Agran ’22 finished just short of first place. Earlham won the relay with a time of 3:37.07 while Kenyon’s final runner came across at 3:43.83. The Lords will look to improve on their performance when they return to Wooster on Jan. 25, where they will compete in the Fighting Scots Invitational.