Lords and Ladies start off strong at Wittenberg University

Duffy Lemire '21 finished fifth in the high jump event.

MEN’S

The Lords track and field team started their season with the Wittenberg University Tiger Opener on Friday, Dec. 6. The unscored meet served as a warmup for the 2020 season, which opens next semester on Jan. 18 with the Wooster Quad Meet.

The opener was the first collegiate meet for three Lords first years: pole vaulter Sean Lee and sprinters Ben Weiner and Nicholas Bower. Lee finished fourth in the pole vault, clearing a bar with a height of 3.66 meters before faulting on a bar with a height of 3.81 meters. Weiner finished ninth in the preliminary 60-meter dash, failing to qualify for the final by just 0.02 seconds. He also finished seventh in the 200-meter dash with a time of 23.56.

Other Lords who finished in the top 10 in their events included Aaron Meuser ’22, who finished fourth in the triple jump with a distance of 12.01 meters, and Ifeatu Menakaya ’20, who finished sixth in the shot put with a throw of 12.52 meters.

The Lords will attempt to build on their successes at the Tiger Opener. This season, they hope to improve on four straight ninth-place NCAC indoor track and field finishes. The Lords will have their only home meet of the season on Friday, Feb. 21 when they host the Kenyon Friday Night Open.

WOMEN’S

The Kenyon Ladies track and field team began their season on Friday by competing in the Wittenberg Tiger Invitational. The meet, which featured nine teams including Kenyon, was unscored and marked the only scheduled competition for the Ladies in December.

First-year Mary Shawaker stood out for the Ladies, taking home their only win of the night. She won first place in the 1000-meter race, beating her opponents with a time of 3:29.42. The next best running performance for the Ladies came from another first year, Denna Medrano. Medrano finished in 11th place in the 200-meter dash and in eighth for the 400-meter dash, with times of 28.34 and 1:04.51 respectively.

Duffy Lemire ’21 claimed the Ladies’ second-best finish of the night, earning fifth place in the high jump by clearing 1.50 meters. Jaidyn Cook ’22 placed seventh in the triple jump, reaching 9.27 meters.

“Everyone on the team was outstanding in each of their events, achieving or coming close to their personal records,” Schawaker said. “After a successful first meet, [the team is] looking forward to [the] next one.” The Ladies will next compete on Jan. 18 at the College of Wooster Quad Meet.