Kenyon swimming competes at Denison Invitational Trials

MEN’S

Last Wednesday, the Lords traveled to Granville, Ohio to take part in the Denison Invitational Long Course Time Trials. Kenyon competed against three other schools: Wayne State University, Eastern Michigan University and Denison University. The event was unscored, but the Lords had several strong performances. Cherantha De Silva ’23 recorded a time of 53.27 seconds in the 100-meter freestyle, which was good enough for third-best amongst all competing swimmers. De Silva also swam a 24.40 in the 50-meter freestyle, making him the seventh-best in the heat.

Senior Mick Bartholomew turned in one of the best-placed times for the Lords at the event, recording a time of 2:07.73 in the 200-meter individual medley, which was the second-best time amongst all swimmers in the event. Andrew Grier ’22 also finished second in his heat, swimming a 56.97 in the 100-meter butterfly. Other Kenyon swimmers included David Fitch ’21, who finished the 100-meter backstroke in 1:00.18, Aidan Clarkson ’22, who swam a 1:08.99 in the 100-meter breaststroke, and Kieran Allsop ’20, who finished with a time of 2:20.16 in the 200-meter breaststroke.

WOMEN’S

On Wednesday, Dec. 4, Kenyon College’s women’s swimming and diving team competed in the Denison Invitational in Granville, Ohio. The meet was an unscored time trial and therefore did not contribute to Kenyon’s overall record this season.

​In the first event of the meet, the 50-meter freestyle, Emmie Mirus ’21 finished first with a time of 26.76 seconds, slightly ahead of the second-place time of 26.83 seconds. Crile Hart ’21 and Summer Otazu ’20 both competed in the first women’s 100-meter backstroke event, with Hart finishing second with a time of 1:03.11 and Otazu finishing fourth with a time of 1:05.24. Andrea Perttula ’22 competed in the second women’s 100-meter backstroke, finishing in third place at 1:14.84. Ana Dunn ’22 was the lone Kenyon competitor of the 200-meter backstroke, finishing with a time of 2:48.42. Hart and Racine Ross ’22 competed in the 100-meter butterfly, earning first and second place, Hart finishing with a time of 1:03.04 and Ross seconds behind at 1:05.49.

​This is Kenyon’s last meet until Jan. 4, when they will travel to Sarasota, Fla. to compete against Washington University in Saint Louis (Mo.), Baldwin Wallace University and Illinois Wesleyan University. This season, Kenyon has a first-place and a fourth-place finish, along with a 1-4 win-loss record in head-to-head matchups.