Led by Schaub and Matijasich, Ladies basketball prevails over Case Western

Ellie Schaub ‘21 elevates the ball over two Case Western defenders as she releases her shot. Her double-double propelled the Ladies to a come-from-behind victory at home. | COURTESY OF KENYON COLLEGE ATHLETICS

The Kenyon women’s basketball team began their season on Tuesday night with a win against the Case Western Reserve University Spartans at home in Tomsich Arena. It was a hard-fought win for the Ladies, as they were able to overcome a late seven-point deficit. Down 39-32 at the conclusion of the third quarter, Kenyon would go on a 15-6 run to finish out the game, which ended with a final score of 47-45. The final moments of the contest were decisive, as Case Western’s Alyssa Hyland missed a potential game-winning jumper.

The Ladies were fueled by strong performances from Ellie Schaub ’21 and Paige Matijasich ’20, who both recorded double-doubles in the win. Schaub led the team with a 19-point, 11-rebound performance while Matijasich was able to record 13 points and 10 rebounds of her own. Kenyon’s defense also played tightly when it counted, holding the Spartan offense to just six points and forcing three turnovers during the final quarter.    

The come-from-behind victory marks the Ladies’ fifth straight opening-game victory and their third straight victory against Case Western. The Ladies will continue the early portion of their schedule by participating in the York College (Pa.) Coaches vs. Cancer Classic. On Friday night at 7:30 p.m., the Ladies will face Catholic University of America (D.C.), and on Saturday they will play either York College or William Paterson University (N.J.).