Ladies suffer heartbreak twice with two last-minute losses to DePauw University

The Kenyon’s women’s soccer team lost in a tight matchup against DePauw University in the NCAC tournament semifinal game this past Wednesday, Nov. 6 at Reavis Stadium in Greencastle, Ind. This loss comes only four days after a closely contested regular-season finale, also against DePauw, in which the Ladies were unable to emerge victorious after a last-minute goal.

In their first game against the Tigers, the competition was tight in the first half of the game. The Ladies relied on their defenders, particularly Annie Hesse ’20 and Joanna Kaizer ’22. Goalie Jillian Countey ’20 was also crucial for Kenyon, recording five saves that kept the game scoreless at the end of the first half. Overall, DePauw had 10 shots on goal to Kenyon’s four.

The Ladies offense was more dynamic during the second half. Midfielder Olivia Dion ’22 set up two scoring opportunities for forwards Maddie Ladd ’21 and Fallon Raviol ’20. The match remained scoreless until DePauw’s Alex Bentley fired a 24-yard shot into the net that ultimately wrapped up the game with under a minute remaining in regulation.

Not only did this season finale have important postseason implications, but it also marked the celebration of Senior Day; specifically seniors Hesse, Countey, Raviol, Alyssa Sugar, Meredith Glover, Gwyneth Phillips and Morgan Engmann. “Our teammates and coaches did such a fantastic job of making our day special,” Engmann said. “I’m sad things are coming to an end soon, but I am so grateful for all the memories I have with this amazing team.”

The Ladies then traveled to Greencastle, Ind., where DePauw hosted them in the semifinal round of the NCAC tournament. “Getting to play DePauw again definitely gives us a lot of motivation going into tomorrow,” Engmann said before the second game. “We learned a lot from the first game and we are ready to use it to get the win.”

However, the Ladies were not able to defeat their familiar opponent, losing their second match in as many games to DePauw 2-1 in a heartbreaking finish. The Tigers struck first, scoring in the 27th minute. The game would remain 1-0 at the half.

With less than 15 minutes remaining, the Ladies evened the score: Caitlin Kollins ’23 rose to the occasion, putting the ball in the back of the net in the 77th minute. However, the Tigers responded in the 87th, with Bentley—the hero in the regular-season finale—scoring the game-winning goal and dashing the Ladies’ dream of a berth in the NCAC tournament finals.