Kenyon Swim and Dive split wins against Denison

A Kenyon swimmer rises out of the water in stride. | COURTESY OF KENYON COLLEGE ATHLETICS

This past Saturday, the Lords and Ladies swimming and diving teams competed at home against NCAC rival Denison University at the Steen Aquatics Center. The Lords were able to defeat the defending conference champions, the Big Red, by a score of 167.5 to 132.5, while the Ladies fell 105-195.

On the men’s side, the Lords were victorious in 10 of 16 total events. One of the primary contributors to the Lords’ success was David Fitch ’21, who logged first-place finishes in four events across both individual and group competition: the 100-yard backstroke, 100-yard butterfly, 200-yard freestyle relay and 200-yard medley relay. Fitch was able to post a time of 49.76 seconds for his backstroke and 49.23 in the butterfly, both of which were the fastest event times in all of Division III competition this season. Luis Weekes ’22 also had a notable performance, finishing first in the 200-yard individual medley and second in the 100-yard breaststroke.

The diving team’s win was helped by first- and second-place finishes in the 3-meter dive, as well as second- and third-place finishes in the 1-meter. This marked the first time since the 2015-16 season that the Lords have swept both swimming and diving in the same competition against Denison.

Despite losing the meet, the Ladies turned in multiple admirable efforts, securing four individual wins. Claire Murray ’21, won with a time of 10:36.18 in the 1,000-yard freestyle. Crile Hart ’21 also bolstered the win tally with two first-place finishes in both the 200-yard and 100-yard freestyle heats. The final individual victory came from Emmie Mirus ’21, who logged a time of 24.07 seconds in the 50-yard freestyle. A team consisting of Hart, Mirus, Caylee Hamilton ’21 and Celina German ’21 would go on to win the 200-yard freestyle relay. However, the Ladies diving team fell to Denison in both the 1-meter and 3-meter dives.

The Lords and Ladies will continue their competition season at Division I Ohio State University on Friday, Nov. 8. With a current all-time 0-7 record against the Buckeyes, the Lords and Ladies will hope to notch their first victory since their most recent defeat in 2017.