Section: Football

Huge first half deficit puts game out of reach for struggling Lords

On Saturday, the Lords football team traveled to Crawfordsville, Ind. to take on the Wabash College Little Giants. The Lords and Little Giants first squared off in 1942, when the Lords won 7-0. Since that time, the Lords have lost 15 matchups in a row to Wabash, including Saturday’s 31-12 defeat. However, the game was not without its positives. With only a 19-point deficit, the game marked the Lords’ smallest margin of defeat in 12 matchups since the Little Giants joined the NCAC in 1999. The Lords would end up losing 31-12.

The Lords got out to somewhat of a slow start, giving up 31 points in the first half without responding on offense. Despite the score, many of Wabash’s points were due to first-year quarterback Liam Thompson’s ability to scramble around the pocket and make plays. Despite facing constant pressure from the Lords defensive line—Thompson was sacked four times—he finished 16-of-21 for 244 yards and three touchdown passes.

On defense, Michael Picone ’21 starred. In the second quarter, down 24-0, Picone blocked a Wabash punt that was almost returned to the end zone. Unfortunately, the offense could not capitalize from the 11-yard line. In the third quarter, Picone strip-sacked Thompson and would have taken the ball all the way to the end-zone if not for being controversially ruled down by contact immediately as he came up with the ball. Both of these plays, along with his career-high 17 tackles, helped Picone and the Lords defense hold the Little Giants to their second lowest scoring total in conference this season.

While the offense didn’t get rolling until the fourth quarter, the Lords dominated in all phases of the game towards the end. In the fourth quarter, the Lords earned 185 yards to the Little Giants’ 12, while scoring two touchdowns and missing a 28-yard field goal.

The Lords hope to take the rhythm and momentum they earned in the second half, and in the fourth quarter specifically, into their Senior Day game against Wittenberg University this Saturday.