Becker, NCAC Runner of the Year, stars in meet

The Kenyon men’s and women’s cross country teams competed in the 2019 NCAC Finals on Nov. 2. The Lords finished sixth out of the nine teams competing, marking their best NCAC finish since 2013, in which they also placed sixth. The Ladies finished second out of eight total teams, losing to the defending champion, Oberlin College. The star of Kenyon’s showing this year was Emma Becker ’22, who became the Ladies’ first individual NCAC champion since 1999.

For the Lords, Vincent Lewis ’20 clinched a third-place finish, ending the 8K race with a time of 25:59.5. He finished just short of the winning time, losing out to Wabash’s Sam Henthorn by about 19 seconds. Tommy Johnson ’20 was Kenyon’s only other top-twenty finisher, coming in at 17th with a time of 26:53.0. The Lords ultimately scored 142 points, their best finish in five seasons.

The Ladies, led by Becker, claimed 58 points, and four of their runners fell within the top 15 finishers. Becker’s 21:59.5 time, her 6K race collegiate best, allowed her to earn both All-NCAC honors and the title of NCAC Runner of the Year. Eleanor Tetreault ’21 finished the 6K race in seventh place with a time of 22:51.6 to join Becker on the All-NCAC First Team. Grace Moses ’20 placed ninth, while Chloe Hall ’20 finished in 11th and Alice Riley ’23 ended up in 32nd place. Their second place was the team’s best result since 2008, when they won the championship.

Riley believes that the Ladies’ success originates from the  “wonderful team atmosphere,” as they focus on “draw[ing] inspiration” from each other. Riley says that the performance of their top-scoring runners “bodes well” for the upcoming NCAA Great Lakes regional competition, which will be in two weeks’ time.