Volleyball defeats rival Oberlin at home, struggles against Denison and Heidelberg

The Kenyon women’s volleyball team opened their NCAC season with a doubleheader this past weekend.

On Friday night, the Ladies beat the Oberlin College Yeowomen 3-1, extending their winning streak against Oberlin to five. Despite falling short in the first set 25-14, the Ladies came back strong, dominating the next three sets. The team won the second set 25-16, before earning a hard-fought 25-21 third set victory.

The Ladies then finished out the match in a consistent fourth set, besting Oberlin 25-16. Mackenzie Bruzzio ’20 and Lauren Limbach ’21 produced standout performances, each boasting 10 kills and one block apiece. Limbach noted that the win was a “great energy boost for [their] team.” The two teams had similar statistics throughout the game. However, Kenyon’s 11 aces dwarfed Oberlin’s three, which allowed the Ladies to maintain their lead.

The second of the Ladies’ two matches this weekend had them face off against Denison University. The Ladies fell 3-0, with Denison’s Emma Woerner and Sophie Tight putting out commanding performances. Woener’s 16 kills and Tight’s 29 assists allowed for an otherwise statistically close performance to go Denison’s way. The Ladies kept each of the three sets close, but fell 25-18, 25-21, 27-25. “[T]he Denison match confirmed [their] ability to stay competitive with tough teams,” Limbach said.

In their third match on Tuesday, the Ladies fell in straight sets on the road to Heidelberg University, 24-19, 25-13, 25-20.  The Student Princes moved to 16-3 on the season, while Kenyon dropped to 3-11. However, there were some notable performances from the purple and black: Limbach recorded eight kills in the loss, while Bruzzio added six kills and 13 digs. Meghan Cason ’21 recorded 13 assists, and Ellie Luciani ’22 had 14 digs.

The Ladies’ next matchup will take place on Thursday against Muskingum University Fighting Muskies in New Concord, Ohio.