No. 7 Kenyon Lords extend unbeaten streak to eleven games

Over the last week, the NCAA Division III seventh-ranked Lords soccer team defeated one NCAC rival while drawing against another to extend their unbeaten streak to 11 games. On Saturday, the Lords emerged victorious over rival Denison University 3-1, marking their eighth straight victory over the Big Red. On Wednesday, the Lords drew with Ohio Wesleyan University (OWU) 1-1 on the road. After a win and a tie this week in conference, the Lords are 11-1-1, and their 3-0-1 mark places them tied with OWU for the top position in the NCAC standings.

Though it proved difficult for the Lords to break through in the beginning of the match against Denison, they stayed persistent, recording 21 shots and 13 shots on target. The first of these came within the first nine minutes, when Sebastian Gaese’s ’22 header was stopped by Denison goalkeeper Dylan Brown. Brown then proceeded to foul Scott Upton ’22, giving Kenyon a penalty kick and another chance to score. However, Brown turned aside the penalty as well.

Shortly after the 20-minute mark, Gunner Found ’20 sent a corner kick into the box, where it was met by Sam Hosmer-Quint ’21 with a header into the right corner of the net, giving the Lords a 1-0 lead.

The Big Red found a tying goal early on in the second half. In the 49th minute, Denison forward Leo Herard fired a shot from the left wing. Kenyon keeper Ian McInturf ’21 tried to make the save, but the ball deflected off his right hand and into the net.

Around the 78th minute, Aidan Schoellkopf ’22 fired a pass to Hosmer-Quint, who then headed the ball over to Max Ohnesorge ’21. Ohnesorge then blasted a shot past Brown, resulting in his first career goal.

In the game’s final few minutes, a misplayed ball set Gaese up with an open net. Gaese’s goal wrapped up the match with a 3-1 Lords victory.

“Playing against our rival is always a tough and hard-fought game,” Gaese said. “I think overall we met our expectations and played aggressively. Especially in the second half, we were able to possess the ball really well and were moving it around really well.”

He also emphasized the importance of teamwork and high energy. “My forward partner, Sam Carson ’22, was integral in pressing and creating chances. Every goal either of us scores, we know that it wouldn’t be possible without the other—and that was the case on Saturday.”

Head Coach Chris Brown echoed these values, stating that the team’s focus “is on the work of the collective, and there were some good examples of that in the second half. Plus, the group continues to exhibit admirable resiliency.”

On Wednesday, the Lords traveled to Delaware, Ohio for a hard-fought match against Ohio Wesleyan. The Battling Bishops were strong throughout on the offensive end, recording 27 shots.

Kenyon’s defense received immense pressure, yet they only allowed one goal off that high shot count. OWU’s only goal came early on, as Charles Branche III scored in the seventh minute on a rebound off a save from McInturf.

Kenyon capitalized on OWU’s missed chances in the 39th minute, when Minka Soumah ’23 provided the equalizing goal off a blocked shot from Sebastian Brylka ’23.

The game finished 1-1 after no changes in score through the rest of regulation and double overtime, leading to the first tie of the season for the Lords.

Kenyon will look to secure a victory against Wabash College on Saturday at Mavec Field at 3:30 p.m..

Correction:

A previous version of this article was titled “No. 7 Kenyon Lords extend unbeaten streak to twelve games.” They in fact have only been unbeaten in their last eleven games.

A previous version of this article also had a typo in the last sentence. This regrettable error has since been corrected.