Lords and Ladies host opening meet

This past weekend was an eventful one for Kenyon aquatics, with both the mens and womens swimming and diving teams hosting their first meets this past Saturday at the Steen Aquatic Center. In their respective competitions, both the Lords and Ladies emerged victorious.

The majority of team members competed, resulting in 16 different Kenyon swimmers gaining relay victories. Maggie Foight ’23 says it created “a much more fun, supportive atmosphere,” which “played a major role” in their success.   

The Lords won seven of the 11 events and scored 104 team points, putting them in first place out of the five teams. Among Kenyon’s victors were Luis Weekes ’22, who won the 200-yard individual medley, 200-yard backstroke, 200-yard breaststroke and 200-yard butterfly relays, and David Fitch ’21, who gained victories in both the 500-yard crescendo relay and the 200-yard butterfly relay.

The Ladies swimming and diving teams came in first place in all but one of their relay events. The relay team of Summer Otazu ’20, Caylee Hamilton ’21, Makena Markert ’21 and Emmie Mirus ’21, took first place in the 200-yard medley with a time of 1:46.16.

The purple and black continued to secure victories later on in the day in events such as the 200-yard backstroke, 200-yard breaststroke, 200-yard butterfly, the 3×500 free relay, 400-yard individual medley relay and the 200-yard freestyle relay. Finishing things off, Markert and Crile Hart ’21 joined forces with Fitch and Marcus Hong ’21 from the men’s team to claim first place in the 200-yard mixed medley relay.

“I think we did so well on Saturday because it was the first meet of the season, and we were all super excited and pumped up to swim,” Foight said.

The Lords and Ladies next meet is against Xavier University at Steen Aquatic Center on Oct. 26.