Led by veteran experience, Golf finishes sixth at Mason-Dixon Collegiate Classic

This past weekend, the Lords golf team traveled to Abbottstown, Pa., where they participated in the Mason-Dixon Collegiate Classic at the Bridges Golf Club. It was a large field of competition, with 18 colleges sending teams to the tournament.

The Lords started strong in their first day of competition, especially Eric Lifson ’21, who shot a 73 on the day, which was good for 1 over par at the Bridges Golf Club. Also contributing to the Lords’ high team finish at the end of the first round was Andrew Kotler ’21, who finished with 75 strokes (+3), along with Nick Lust ’22 and Lawrence Courtney ’21, who both turned in 77-stroke performances (+4). Rounding out the top five performers for the Lords was Ethan Manalo ’22, who shot a 78 on the day. These five golfers were responsible for Kenyon’s team score of 302, which earned them a third-place standing at the end of the first day.

The second day of play saw the Lords’ play take a slight dip, as the team’s top-seeded golfer, Lifson, turned in a 76-stroke performance (+4). Kotler, Lust and Manalo each also added two strokes to their tallies from the first day to give the Lords a second-day score of 308.

Altogether, the Lords combined for a team score of 610, placing them sixth overall amongst the 18 participating teams.

“This last weekend was not our best performance as a team,” Lust said. “We had high expectations coming in and did not quite fulfill those. However we still had a solid showing and it’s something we can build off going into our last tournament of the year.”

Next for Kenyon golf is the Mount Vernon Nazarene University Cougar Golf Classic on October 5.