Nationally ranked Lords continue dominant NCAC play

Kenyon’s 14th-ranked men’s soccer team secured a crucial 2-0 victory on Oct. 26 against Hiram College, allowing them to move into first place in the NCAC standings. They followed this with a convincing 5-1 win over Oberlin College at home, clinching a berth in the NCAC tournament.

In their first game against Hiram, the Lords, who have held a 9-1 record against the team since 2011, went into the game looking to secure a fourth consecutive win at Hiram. With just three conference regular-season games left to go, the game had strong postseason implications. In the first half of the highly contested match, Kenyon outshot Hiram nine shots to none, requiring Hiram’s goalkeeper to make six saves in the half. The Lords also took seven corners while only giving up one corner to the Terriers squad.

In the second half, the Lords scored two goals on 10 shots. After remaining scoreless for the first 30 minutes of the half, Kenyon broke through thanks to the efforts of forward Sam Carson ’22. After receiving a through-ball from Sebastian Gaese ’22, Carson curved a shot inside the right post, notching Kenyon’s first goal of the night in the 82nd minute. Just over five minutes later, Carson assisted Tomas Munoz Reyes ’22, which marked the midfielder’s second goal of the season. Kenyon head coach Chris Brown credits their two late goals to the “consistent pressure and admirable patience” exhibited by his players.

Eleven different Kenyon players took shots throughout the course of the game, while Hiram generated only two shots. Only Hiram’s midfielder Ben Zuniga’s shot was on target for the Terriers, requiring Kenyon’s goalkeeper Ian McTurf ’21 to make his only save of the game.

On Wednesday, the Lords completely dismantled the Oberlin Yeomen, winning 5-1. This win secured the Lords’ spot in next week’s NCAC Tournament. The Lords started off quick, as Carson was able to weave his way through the Yeomen defense and score within the first minute. The Lords would add three more goals, winning 5-1.

Kenyon currently stands at the top of the NCAC standings with 20 points. Each of the top three teams only have one conference game left to play, making the fight to finish in first place an extremely close one. Wabash will play Oberlin College, while Ohio Wesleyan will face Hiram to close out their regular season. On the Lords’ upcoming games, Brown says that the “key is to play with a level of intensity and urgency in every game that [their] opponents find hard to handle,” emphasizing that they will be taking things “one game at a time.”

The Lords’ next match and final regular-season game will be Senior Day at Mavec Field on Nov. 2 at 3:30 p.m. against DePauw University.