Ladies win thriller at Hiram, cruise past hapless Oberlin

Entering the week, the Ladies soccer team sat in third place in the North Coast Athletic Conference (NCAC) with three games remaining. Needing to secure points to guarantee a spot in the four-team NCAC tournament field, the Ladies won defeated Hiram College and Oberlin College, with the latter result clinching their sixth-straight trip to the NCAC tournament.

On Saturday, Oct. 26, the Ladies traveled to Hiram College, a team against which the Ladies have never lost. The Ladies put consistent pressure on the Terriers throughout the game, totaling 19 shots and 12 on goal. The Ladies’ first goal would not come until the 31st minute, when Samantha Hayes ’21 put a Caroline McNeer ’21 pass into the back of the net.

Kenyon entered halftime with a 1-0 lead, but in the 64th minute, Hiram would draw even with a goal from Courtney Wendel. Heading into the final minutes, it seemed as if the game would go into overtime, but Maddie Ladd ’21 sent a McNeer corner past the goalkeeper in the 87th minute to give the Ladies a thrilling 2-1 victory.

On Tuesday, Oct. 29, the team headed to Oberlin College to face the hapless Yeowomen, who, at the time, had gone 0-7-0 in conference play. Despite Oberlin’s lack of success this season, they scored first in the ninth minute, but four minutes later, Kenyon’s captain Fallon Raviol ’20 scored off a Gwyneth Phillips ’20 assist. The game remained tied at the end of the first half, but the Ladies had full control during the second 45-minute period. In the 56th minute, Kenyon grabbed their second goal, and the final goal of the contest, as Olivia Dion ’22 headed in a Raviol cross to seal the game. The Ladies won 3-1.

“The game was frustrating, especially in the first half,” Darien Byrum ’22 said. “By the second half we picked up the level of play in order to secure a very important win going into the conference tournament next week.”

For their last game before the NCAC tournament, the Ladies will play DePauw University on  Saturday, Nov. 2 (their Senior Day) at Mavec Field. A victory against the Tigers, currently ranked first in the conference, would guarantee the Ladies a top-two seed and a home game in the NCAC semifinals.