Ladies struggle against Denison, beat Ohio Wesleyan in a 1-0 overtime thriller

On Saturday, Oct. 12, the Kenyon Ladies soccer team lost to conference rival Denison University 4-1 at home. The loss was Kenyon’s first against an NCAC opponent, dropping Kenyon’s conference record to 2-1 and their overall record to 5-6. Kenyon has not won against Denison since Oct. 17, 2015, when they won 1-0. Since then, Kenyon has gone 0-3-2 versus the Big Red.

Kenyon scored first in the ninth minute, with Fallon Raviol ’20 scoring her fifth goal of the season with an assist from Olivia Dion ’22. Denison responded with four unanswered goals, the first two of which came within three minutes of each other late in the first half. The third goal was registered three minutes into the second half, and Denison’s final goal came with 17 minutes remaining in the game. The Big Red nearly tripled the Ladies in shots on goal, with 15 shots to Kenyon’s six.

On Tuesday, the Ladies bounced back in a home game against Ohio Wesleyan University’s Battling Bishops with a thrilling 1-0 overtime victory. It was a crucial conference win for Kenyon, which moved them into a tie for second place in the NCAC with a 3-1 record.

The game remained scoreless through the first 90 minutes, though not due to  a lack of chances. The Ladies recorded 18 shots in regulation to the Battling Bishops’ 11. Kenyon players found themselves in great positions numerous times, but were frequently unable to score. In the 26th minute, Maddie Ladd’s ’21 shot from the top of the box went just wide. On the stroke of halftime, Lara O’Callaghan ’23 set up Morgan Engmann ’20 in front of goal, but she was unable to place the ball in the goal.

After 90 minutes, the game headed into overtime after no goals were scored. However, that didn’t last long. Right from the kickoff, Caroline McNeer ’21 sent a through ball towards the right wing. Raviol ran onto it and fired it past Battling Bishop goalkeeper Taylor Floyd just 10 seconds into the overtime period, giving the Ladies a thrilling victory.

Kenyon will look to build on this momentum in their next game at the College of Wooster on Oct. 23.