Ladies lose two, bounce back against Moravian College

The Ladies volleyball team traveled to New Jersey over fall break to take on a trio of non-conference opponents. On Friday, they took on the Kean University Cougars in Union, N.J. The Ladies started the match off strong, defeating Kean 25-18 in the first set of play. However, the Cougars rebounded quickly; they would go on to take the next three sets by scores of 25-17, 25-21 and 25-15 for a final score of 3-1.

On Saturday, the Ladies faced Montclair State University (N.J), who hosted the trio of competing teams. The Red Hawks came into the match with a 15-5 record. Kenyon fell to Montclair in the first two sets, 25-18 and 25-21 respectively. The Ladies were able to fend off the Red Hawk offensive in the third set, winning 25-18. However, Montclair State was able to prevail in the end as they defeated Kenyon in a tightly contested final set, 28-26.

The last match of the weekend for the Ladies was against Moravian College (Pa.). Kenyon’s senior leadership was able to step up to help the team end the weekend with a win. While the first two sets were won by Moravian, 28-26 and 25-23, the match was far from decided. Kenyon was able to regroup and win the next three sets, 25-16, 25-18, 15-11, for a 3-2 victory. Mackenzie Bruzzio ’20, and Haley Witschey ’20 both came through with strong performances to ensure the win. The pair of seniors combined for 27 kills in the match.

“[New Jersey] was a fun trip for our team because we got an opportunity to bond and spend some great quality time together,” defensive specialist Ellie Luciani ’22 said. “We played pretty well and fought through to win the last game, which was super exciting and a great lead-up into conference this week. I think we’re excited for the NCAC matches we’re about to play because it’s a huge opportunity to win some games and build on our momentum.”

Next for the Ladies will be a match against DePauw University at home on Oct. 17 at 6 p.m.