Kenyon secures thrilling 2-1 victory against Wooster with last-second goal

A Kenyon player shields the ball away from a Wabash defender. SEJIN KIM/KENYON SID/NCAA

The Kenyon men’s soccer team finished Family Weekend with a 1-1 draw against the Wabash University (Ind.) Little Giants, but bounced back with an exciting win against Wooster on Tuesday.

Throughout the first half of the Saturday game, the game was fairly one-sided, with the Lords outshooting Wabash 11-4. Midfielders Jack Cohen ’21 and Atli Hrafnkelsson ’23 were among those denied by Wabash goalkeeper Chad Wunderlich. No one would score until the 79th minute, when the Lords’ Trevor Gleason ’23 netted his fourth goal of the season to take a 1-0 lead.

In the 85th minute, Lords left-back Luke Muther ’22 received a red card for a hard foul and was sent off for the rest of the match. The Little Giants used their one-man advantage to score off a set piece in the final minute of regular time and tie the game. Even with the Lords playing with one less player, neither team was able to score in either of the extra time periods.

“At the end of the day it was the little errors that hurt us the most,” forward Sam Carson ’22 said. “If we could have managed the game better in those dying minutes, we’d have ended up in the win column.”

At the College of Wooster on Tuesday, the Lords were able to extend their unbeaten streak to 13 with a 2-1 win over the Fighting Scots.

Kenyon got off to a slow start offensively, but was aided by an early goal by Philippe Stengel ’20 in the 29th minute.

The Fighting Scots scored an equalizer early in the second half and the score remained tied until the dying seconds of the second half, when Hrafnkelsson scored a 90th-minute goal to seal the victory for the Lords.

They are now 12-1-2 on the season and will next compete on Saturday at Hiram College.