Section: Field Hockey

Kenyon extends win streak to nine as Metzmaier leads Ladies over Wittenberg

Kenyon extends win streak to nine as  Metzmaier leads Ladies over Wittenberg

Kenyon field hockey secured their ninth consecutive win last Sunday against Wittenberg University Tigers. They beat the Tigers 4-0, with goalkeeper Payton Doan ’23 obtaining her fifth shutout of the season. The Ladies dominated possession throughout the game, requiring zero saves from Doan. Kenyon outshot their opponents 14-3, with Sarah Metzmaier ’22 accounting for five of those shots, all of which were on goal. The Ladies’ scorers consisted of Metzmaier, Tara Shetty ’21, Olivia O’Connell ’21 and Emma Hyer ’22. Paulina Mendez ’21 tallied the only assist of the game off a penalty corner, as Metzmaier scored from the top of the circle for the Ladies’ fourth and final goal of the game. Kenyon successfully converted one out of three penalty corners. Metzmaier credits much of their team’s success to “cohesive determination and commitment to [their] team.”

Next, the team will face off against DePauw University, who they previously beat 3-1 on Sept. 28. In their upcoming match, Metzmaier says the team is “looking to stay focused, control the controllables, be prepared and, most importantly, be confident.” The teams will compete at 11 a.m. at Benson Bowl on Oct. 19. They will then play against Earlham College on Oct. 20, who Kenyon has held a 19-1 record against since 2009.