Kenyon Cross Country excels at Jenna Strong Fall Classic

Both Kenyon men’s and women’s cross-country teams participated in the Jenna Strong Fall Classic at Wilmington College this past Friday. Though Ohio State University would claim the top spot in both races, the Lords and Ladies both placed well.

The Kenyon Ladies put forth an especially strong showing, placing third out of 33 teams and first amongst Division III schools in the 5k race. All five of Kenyon’s scoring runners finished within the top 50. The team was led by Emma Becker ’22, who was coming off a first-place individual performance at the All-Ohio Championship two weeks prior. She would place fourth overall and first amongst Division III competition with a time of 18:24.9. This performance earned her the NCAC Women’s Cross-Country Runner of the Week for the third time this season. The next three Kenyon runners would finish within a second of one another, with Eleanor Tetreault ’21 finishing at 19:19.9, Alice Riley ’23 at 19:20.1 and Gracie Moses ’20 at 19:20.7. The three were 22nd, 23rd, and 24th respectively. Chloe Hall ’20 also came in 42nd overall with a time of 19:52.6.

The Lords finished their 8k race 13th overall and third among Division III schools in the 36-team event. “We performed well at the meet,” Will Spohn ’22 said. “We had a lot of [personal records], and even the people who didn’t [have a personal record] had a good race.”

All five scoring runners had their best times of the year during this event. Vincent Lewis ’20 led Kenyon with a time of 26:00.5 and 18 points, finishing in 19th. Tommy Johnson ’20 would finish 42nd with a time of 26:48.2 and would be followed by Jack Burczak ’23 with a time of 27:44.8. Michael Deal ’23 and Thomas Guidotti ’21 would finish the scoring for Kenyon, placing 91st and 113th respectively.

Kenyon will next host the College of Wooster in a dual meet on Saturday, Oct. 19 in their final event before the NCAC Championship in Crawfordsville, Ind.