Countey shines for Ladies even as they settle for draw

On Wednesday, the Ladies womens soccer team traveled to the College of Wooster to play their second NCAC road game. With a week and a half left before the four team conference tournament, Kenyon entered the game third place in the NCAC, one spot ahead of Wooster, making this an important matchup.

The Ladies and the Fighting Scots played a hard-fought match at Carl Dale Field. In the end, the teams finished in a scoreless draw after two overtimes. Both teams had numerous chances to find the back of the net, but were unable to convert.

Wooster created opportunities throughout regulation, putting Kenyon under immense pressure. Ladies goalkeeper Jillian Countey ’20 responded with composure: she saved all 11 shots on target, matching her career high. Countey was also aided by a solid back line, which made key plays when it mattered most. Wooster’s Mila Zunich had the best chance of the match in the 13th minute, but her shot was saved off the line by Kiele Anderson ’21, keeping the tie intact early on.

Kenyon found momentum towards the end of the second half. A cross from Maddie Ladd ’21 in the 72nd minute was headed towards goal by Fallon Raviol ’20, whose effort went just wide.

Wooster continued to dominate in the extra time periods. However, Countey and the Ladies defenders warded away all scoring opportunities in the end, ensuring a valuable point for their team. The draw ensured that Kenyon remained in third place in the NCAC. Olivia Dion ‘22 recognized the frustration of the result, but was also proud of the resiliency of the team: “Today was a pretty tough game, but I thought our team handled the physicality of Wooster well,” she said. “We never gave up, even in double overtime, which is something our team really prides itself on.”

They will travel to Hiram College for their penultimate conference matchup on Saturday.