After winning eleven straight, Kenyon lose defense battle to Ohio Wesleyan

Emma Hyer ’22 battles for possession of the ball against an Earlham defender. | SEJIN KIM/KENYON SID/NCAA

Kenyon’s field hockey team came into this weekend a force to be reckoned with, opening play on Saturday at 10-2 on the year, including wins in all 4 of their NCAC matches.  The Ladies won their first two matches of the week, defeating both DePauw University and Earlham College (Ind.) 1-0. However, the Ladies’ impressive 11-game win streak came to an end on Wednesday night with a loss to rival Ohio Wesleyan University (OWU), 1-0.

On Saturday, Kenyon hosted the DePauw Tigers, who came into the game with a record of 7-6. The match  featured only a single goal, scored early in the match by Kenyon’s Isabella Meneguzzi ’22. Finding the ball at her feet in close proximity to the net, Meneguzzi backhanded it to the back of the goal, beating the Tiger goalkeeper. The Ladies defense continued their strong play, leading the Ladies to a 1-0 victory, and recording their third straight shutout.

Sunday brought a tough opponent to the Benson Bowl, with the arrival of the Earlham College Quakers. Coming into the match, the Ladies and Quakers were the last two remaining unbeaten NCAC teams.

Towards the middle of the second quarter, Kenyon was awarded a penalty corner. Emma Hyer ’22 sent the ball in, and it was received by Lucy Irwin ’20, who found classmate Hannah Sklar ’20 for the game’s lone goal. While the margin of victory was slim, Kenyon was dominant on offense, putting 16 shots on the Quaker goal. 

“I think that one of the reasons that we’ve been so successful thus far has been due to our mindset this year,” Paulina Mendez ’21 said on the Ladies’ recent string of successes. “We have become closer as a team and on the field we play for each other. This mentality has allowed us to fight for each other and give it all, especially for every 50/50 ball.” 

The Ladies’ stellar play came to an end with their 1-0 loss to Ohio Wesleyan. The game was a defensive battle, with both teams only managing six shots apiece. The score was tied through the first two quarters, until Astrid Koek scored for the Battling Bishops in the 34th minute. This goal would prove enough to win OWU the match. Olivia O’Connell ’21 was the most dynamic offensive player for the Ladies, as she had two shots, one shot being on goal.

Next up for the Ladies will be a match on the road against Oberlin College on Oct. 29  at 4:30 p.m.