Winslow and Collins lead Ladies in strong showing at season opener

The Kenyon Ladies tennis team began their season with a successful showing at the Kenyon Invitational this past weekend. Out of the five women’s singles flights spanning the two-day invitational, the Ladies secured two first-place wins.

Anna Winslow ’22 took down Carnegie Mellon University’s Ola Wojciak in dominating fashion, winning 6-1 and 6-0 sets in the championship match. Megan Collins ’20 impressed with 6-3 and 6-2 sets in the finals to defeat Case Western Reserve University’s Hannah Bradvica, finishing in first place for her flight. Ilana Blackwood ’21 fell just short of securing a position in the finals of Flight B, ultimately placing third after a loss against Case Western’s Savannah Bright.

Collins took home her second win of the invitational in women’s doubles alongside Erika Pontillo ’23, playing in her first competitive match for the Ladies. The duo beat Case Western’s Shreyaa Mukund and Nina Hoog 8-3 in their final match, while defeating Denison’s Devin Gramley and Hannah Bradvica in a tight 8-7 match along the way. Daria Beshentseva ’22 and Erika Oku ’21 fell just short of winning their flight, falling to Carnegie Mellon’s Linda Cornwall and Bin Zheng 8-5.

Notably, Kenyon’s three debuting first years combined for a total singles record of 7-1.

The Kenyon Ladies tennis team will face their next challenge in Kalamazoo, Mich., where they will compete in the three-day Intercollegiate Tennis Association (ITA) Regional Championships on September 19-21. This competition marks the last scheduled competition for the team in the fall season.