Lords win two, head coach Brown earns his 200th victory

The Kenyon men’s soccer team improved their record to 8-1 on the year, winning two games this week and extending their winning streak to six games. On Saturday afternoon, the Lords welcomed Thomas More University (Ky.) to Mavec Field, crushing the Saints in a 7-1 blowout. The game was a special one for Kenyon, as Head Coach Chris Brown reached his 200th career win. On Tuesday the Lords won again, this time 2-1 against Wilmington College, to wrap up the non-conference portion of their schedule.

Brown, now in his 15th year as Head Coach of the men’s soccer team, completely transformed a once-struggling team into the epitome of a successful Division III collegiate soccer program.

“A big aspect of our team mentality is having huge belief in ourselves and the rest of our teammates,” team captain Max Taylor ’20 said. “We win as a team, and we lose as a team, and everyone must be 100 percent committed … This never-say-die attitude is something that Coach Brown has definitely implemented and is very important to our success.”

In their match against Thomas More, Kenyon’s talent was on full display. After a goal from the Saints in just the eighth minute, the Lords turned up their intensity, looking to retaliate.

Just two and a half minutes later, Sebastian Gaese ’22 found Sam Carson ’22 along the right side of the box, where Carson pocketed the equalizer. The Lords scored three more goals in that half and another three in the second. Kenyon’s seven goals were scored by five different players, with Alhasan Barrie ’23 and Tomas Munoz Reyes ’22 each finding the back of the net once and Trevor Gleason ’23 and Atli Hrafnkelsson ’23 knocking in a pair each.

On Tuesday, Kenyon hosted the Wilmington College Quakers, a battle of two 7-1-0 teams. The match was closely contested throughout: Neither team could find the back of the net in the first half, despite numerous chances for the purple and black: Kenyon attempted eight shots in the first 45 minutes.

The second half proved more successful for the Lords. Gaese was fouled in the penalty area in the 60th minute, and Scott Upton ’22 was handed the responsibility of giving his team the lead. He did just that, scoring his fourth goal of the season. However, Wilmington was unfazed. A deflected shot at the top of the box allowed Nati Wallis to run onto the ball and tap it in easily to tie the game in the 71st minute.

With both teams looking for the winning goal in the final minutes, the Lords rose to the pressure. In the 83rd minute, Gleason launched a shot towards goal from the left wing, forcing a save from the Quakers keeper, but Hrafnkellson was there to convert on the rebound. This goal proved to be enough for a Kenyon victory.

The Lords will travel to Meadville, Penn. for a NCAC matchup against Allegheny College on Saturday.

Correction:

The headline for the article originally read “Lords win two of three, head coach Brown earns his 200th victory.” The Lords only played two games this week, winning both.