Lords host Kenyon Invitational as seniors Zalenski and Diehl dominate

The men’s tennis team had their first match of the season last weekend at the Kenyon Invitational, serving as an introductory test for the team. Senior Assistant Coach Andrew Carlson noted “[we] only had five days to prepare, since we had just started school. It was about getting to know the players for this first tournament and understanding what their strengths are.”

Carlson emphasized the need to identify the playing styles of the team’s four first years. He also mentioned that the invitational was an opportunity for these new players to learn from the upperclass students and get acclimated to the culture of Kenyon tennis.

“We’re really implementing positivity this year,” Carlson said. “We cheer each other on like you wouldn’t believe.”

Senior captains Jacob Zalenski and Austin Diehl were among these mentor figures, encouraging the first years to apply values of positivity and confidence on the court. These values served Zalenski and Diehl well in their own matches: They defeated their respective opponents in singles flight A, reaching the finals.

The duo then teamed up in doubles, prevailing over Carnegie Mellon University’s (Pa.) Josh Pinckeney and Raahil Doshi in the semifinals and Denison University’s Jack Bulgar and Tim Cianciola in the finals. Pascal Lee ’22 also gave a notable performance, defeating Denison’s No. 1 singles player. 

The Lords won’t compete again until Oct. 4, when they will travel to Kalamazoo, Mich. for the Intercollegiate Tennis Association (ITA) Regional Championship.