Lords dominate in low-scoring, tough matches

Continuing their dynamic season, the Kenyon men’s soccer team traveled to Danville, Ky. this past weekend and faced Spalding University (Ky.) and Centre College (Ky.). In both games, the team was victorious. Later in the week, the team traveled to Marietta College and prevailed over the Pioneers 2-0.

The weekend commenced with a matchup against Spalding. From the start of the first half, the Lords displayed the strong performance that would eventually lead to a 2-0 shutout. An attempt at the 2:44 mark was the closest the Golden Eagles got to scoring, which was promptly stopped by goalie Ian McInturf ’21. From that point forward, the Lords’ defense was impenetrable.

As for offensive play, midfielder Gunner Found ’20 took control at the six-minute mark when he drove left and crossed a pass to Philippe Stengel ’20, who scored near the right post. From there, the forward scored his first goal of the season. This put the Lords in a lead that they would add on to later in the half.

Shortly following two shot attempts from Spalding (both of which were wide), Sebastian Brylka ’23 skillfully guided a through ball to forward Sam Carson ’22. Carson then hit the back of the net from the top of the 18,  adding to the Lords’ lead.

In the second half, the Lords made some substitutions to attempt to keep their lead. Their defense remained strong, as did the goalies; both McInturf and Lev Rosenbush ’22 made crucial saves towards the end of the second half. The Lords prevailed in the end with a final score of 2-0.

Coming off of the excitement from their victory the previous day, the Lords prepared to face Centre College. The beginning of the game was marked by many scoring attempts on both sides, with most going wide or being blocked. Toward the very end of the period, a shot by Centre’s Michael Vogt was skillfully blocked by McInturf. The first half ended in a stalemate for both teams.

The second half of the game began with more shot attempts, leading to a successful score by Scott Upton ’22. After receiving a pass from Stengel, Upton drilled a shot from the left side into the right corner of the net. Throughout the second half, the Lords’ defense dominated. Persistent efforts by the defensive players made it near impossible for the Centre Colonels to shoot. Centre midfielder Alexander Garuba tried to score near the 80-minute mark, but his shot went wide. The game ended 1-0, in favor of the Lords.

The Lords’ 2-0 victory against Marietta College was more of a hard-fought contest than the scoresheet let on. While the Lords outpaced the Pioneers in shots 21-9, the margin of shots on goals was considerably closer, the Lords leading 8-6. The first goal of the match was scored by Carson in the 37th minute. Carson received a through ball, and shot directly into the bottom right corner of the net. Mac Nardiello-Smith ’23 sealed the victory for the Lords, scoring a rebound goal in the 85th minute.

The Lords’ next game is against Thomas More University (Ky.) on September 21 at 3:30 p.m.