Lords come from behind in late game thriller, Ladies go 0-2

Womens:

Kenyon women’s soccer played their first games of the year on home turf last weekend at Mavec Field, taking on a pair of non-conference opponents: Adrian College (Mich.) and Carnegie Mellon University (Pa.).

Saturday’s match against Adrian College began with continuous action on both sides of the field. Within the first 20 minutes of the game, both teams took multiple shots on goal, none of which found the back of the net.  Fallon Raviol ’20 alone took four shots for the Ladies.

It was an Adrian College header, however, that broke the scoreless tie in the 24th minute. The ball was sent into the box and bounced around before being headed home by McKenna Mahoney.

In the second half, Kenyon lined up  a few more shots but ultimately could not find the back of the net. Adrian was able to add another goal in the 68th minute to go up 2-0, which would end up being the final score.

On Sunday, the Ladies faced the Carnegie Mellon University Tartans. The Ladies jumped to an early lead, scoring first after just seven minutes of action. Isabel Fine ’23 was able to control a long ball from Caroline McNeer ’21 and knock it past the Tartan keeper.

Carnegie Mellon was able to respond before the end of the half, scoring from a set piece in the 32nd minute. The Tartans pulled away and added three goals in the second half, rounding out their 4-2 victory over the Ladies. 

The next match for the Ladies is a home game against out-of-conference opponent Otterbein University on Sept. 14.

Men’s:

Last week, Kenyon men’s soccer took on Colorado College and Wheaton College (Ill.). The Lords prevailed in both games, which boosted their record to 3-1 on the season.

On Friday, the Lords bounced back from last week’s loss against John Carroll University by defeating Colorado College 2-1 at Mavec Field. The game began slowly, with neither team scoring during the first half, but Colorado College gained the upper hand with a 54th-minute goal. Kenyon quickly answered in the 62nd minute as Atli Hrafnkelsson ’23 scored an impressive volley off a corner from Sebastion Brylka ’23. The Lords continued to dominate, and an assist from Mac Nardiello-Smith ’23 to Sam Carson ’22 would lead to the winning goal.

The next day, the Lords faced the Wheaton College Thunder in an exhilarating double overtime victory at home. Trevor Gleason ’23 scored the game’s first goal in the 40th minute to give the Lords the lead, but the Thunder would score the next two goals to win the match.

The game seemed lost for the Lords, but in the 89th minute Scott Upton ’22 found the back of the net to send the game into overtime. The winning goal came in the second overtime when Nardiello-Smith headed in a cross from Carson to seal the game for the Lords and give them a record of 3-1.

The men’s soccer team next plays Spalding University (Ky.) at home on Friday, Sept. 13 and at Centre College (Ky.) on Saturday, Sept. 14.