Ladies split two, coach gets 200th win

Ladies split two, coach gets 200th win

The Kenyon women’s soccer team hosted the Franklin College (Ind.) Grizzlies on Saturday, Sept. 21 at Mavec Field. Franklin came into the game searching for their first win of the season, while the Ladies were hoping to bounce back from a loss to Capital College earlier in the week. Ultimately, the Ladies picked up the 3-2 victory to move  to 3-4-0 on the season.

The Ladies, however, could not carry their momentum into their second game of the week, losing their match on the road to Case Western Reserve University 3-1.

The game against Franklin featured no goals until the 22nd minute, when Kenyon’s Fallon Raviol ’20 scored off an assist by Maddie Ladd ’21. The next few minutes of the game were chaotic: in the 26th minute, Franklin tied up the score. However, just two minutes later, Ladd put the Ladies on top again off a pass by Kiele Anderson ’21.

Kenyon entered the second half with a 2-1 lead, but shortly thereafter the Grizzlies would tie the game again. Raviol then scored a critical second goal in the 62nd minute, again assisted by Ladd, which sealed the Ladies’ victory. “We capitalized on our opportunities, and we held a strong defensive line against their forwards,” Raviol said.

Saturday’s victory was the 200th of Coach Kelly Bryan’s career. On the team going forward, Coach Bryan stated, “We are learning and growing each week, and I’m very optimistic about our team moving into conference play.”

The Ladies got off to a rocky start in their match against the Case Western Reserve University University Spartans, allowing goals in the 12th and 54th minutes. However, the Ladies led a brief comeback, as Anderson put the ball past the Spartan goalkeeper in the 60th minute. The dreams of a rally were short-lived,  as the Spartans responded with another goal 15 seconds later, and went on to win the game 3-1.

The Ladies will play their first NCAC game of the year at Allegheny College on Saturday, Sept. 28.