Ladies go winless in tournament, now 2-6

Last weekend, the Kenyon volleyball team travelled to Lansing, Mich. to compete in the first ever North Coast Athletic Conference (NCAC) and Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association (MIAA) Volleyball Crossover Challenge. While Kenyon struggled in the event, going 0-3 in their matches, they competed against some of the top teams in the nation. On Friday, they fell 3-1 to Albion College (Mich.), who was 1-0 prior to the match.

The one set that Kenyon did win against Albion was a nail-biter, with the Ladies prevailing 25-23, helped by seven aces. However, their comeback bid ultimately fell short, as they fell 25-11 in the fourth set. The team’s struggles continued in their matches against Calvin College and Hope College, where they couldn’t muster more than 17 points in a single set.Mackenzie Bruzzio ’20 and Meghan Cason ’21 were at the forefront of Kenyon’s efforts. Bruzzio led the team in kills (26) and digs (23) while Cason paced the squad in assists with 43.

Kenyon’s third match of the week was against out-of-conference opponent Marietta College. Kenyon dropped the first two sets, losing the first narrowly 25-21 and the second 25-14. The Ladies fought extremely hard in a final set, earning multiple set points, but eventually fell, 27-25. The Ladies’ record now sits at 2-6.

The Ladies next match is on Wednesday, Sept. 18 against out-of-conference opponent Otterbein University in Westerville, Ohio.