Kenyon Field Hockey drops first match, win second in a one-goal nailbiter

On Saturday, the Kenyon field hockey team lost 1-0 to out-of-conference opponent Washington and Lee University (Va.), but rallied the following day to defeat Washington & Jefferson College (Pa.) 2-1.

In the opening match against Washington and Lee, Kenyon ceded a goal with two and a half minutes remaining in the first quarter, as Washington and Lee scored on a penalty corner. Kenyon’s defense was effective after that, allowing just four shots on goal. Despite outpacing them in shots (16 to 11), Kenyon was unable to score against the Generals. The Ladies’ best scoring opportunities came early in the fourth quarter, but they failed to capitalize on four successive penalty corners.

Kenyon set the tone early against Washington & Jefferson when Tara Shetty ’21 found the net off an assist from Carolyn Herbosa ’23 with just three seconds remaining in the first quarter.

In the second quarter, Washington & Jefferson tied the game on a penalty corner with six minutes remaining, but Kenyon responded when Sarah Metzmaier ’22 scored on an assist by Shetty. The score stayed 2-1 for the remainder of the game, giving Kenyon their second win of the season.

One noteworthy performance from the weekend was that of Payton Doan ’23, who played goalie in the second half of each game and saved all six shots that came her way.

Kenyon is now 2-2 on the season, with their next game on Saturday, Sept. 14, against North Coast Athletic Conference (NCAC) rival Oberlin College at the Baker Bowl.