Ladies are 1-1 after two matches in Kentucky

The Kenyon College Ladies field hockey team opened their season last weekend with two games, losing to the Centre College (Ky.) Praying Colonels on Friday before bouncing back Saturday with a win over the Washington College (Md.) Shorewomen.

The Ladies began their season opener slowly, taking only four shots and failing to score against the Praying Colonels. In contrast, Centre attacked early and often, continuously pushing the tempo of play. They shot 17 times in the first half, leaving the Ladies scrambling in an attempt to keep the ball out of their defensive zone. Despite the loss, goalkeeper Suzy Deems ’22 played a sensational game, keeping Centre off the board for the first 26 minutes of play.

The Ladies’ defense could not withstand the constant pressure and allowed two quick goals near the end of the second quarter. With another goal early in the third quarter, Centre put the final touches on their 3-0 victory.

The Ladies took their first loss in stride and moved on admirably, facing Washington College the next morning. Defense controlled the first half, as both keepers held strong against tenacious offensive drives.

Kenyon’s aggressive play finally paid off when first years Bella Kern and Carolyn Herbosa worked together in the Shorewomen’s zone, with Kern finishing it off for her first collegiate goal. In the fourth quarter, fellow first year Hannah Hartshorn  joined Kern with a goal of her own and ensured Kenyon’s victory.

The Ladies are looking forward to playing their first game on their new field on Saturday against Washington and Lee University (Va.) at noon.