Kenyon splits first four games, wins home opener over Bluffton Beavers

The Kenyon volleyball team began their 2019 season in Cleveland at the Spartans Invitational hosted by Case Western Reserve University. Taking on the host Spartans in their first match of the invitational, the Ladies came out strong, rolling to a definitive three-set victory. Mackenzie Bruzzio ’20 and Haley Witschey ’20 both showed strong performances, with 11 and seven kills respectively. Witschey bolstered her performance with an additional two blocks.

The following day, Kenyon took on the Bethany College Bisons (W. Va.) and the Carnegie Mellon University Tartans (Pa.). In a tightly contested matchup with several momentum shifts, Bethany proved to be a worthy opponent for the Ladies. The Bisons came out strong and won the first set, at one point going on a 10-2 run. With their backs against the wall, the Ladies rallied for victories in the second and third set. Bruzzio once again led the charge, finishing with a team-leading 18 kills. Despite the late effort, the Bisons were able to edge out Kenyon in the end, with a final score of 3-2.

Kenyon faced another difficult opponent in their second match of the day: Carnegie Mellon. The Tartans used their stout defense to hamper the Ladies’ attack, winning in straight sets 3-0. However, Tara Ford ’22 and Elyse Davidson ’21 were both able to turn in strong performances: Ford notched six kills and two blocks while Davidson showed her versatility, providing five kills and blocks each.

In their most recent matchup, the Ladies took on Bluffton University at home in Tomsich Arena. The team’s senior core, Witschey, Bruzzio and Maleah Miller combined for 29 kills and 10 blocks to secure the Ladies’ resounding 3-1 victory in their home opener.

Next up for the ladies is the North Coast Athletic Conference (NCAC) / Massachusetts Interscholastic Athletic Association (MIAA) Crossover Challenge, beginning Sept. 6 in Lansing, Mich.