Golf Places Fourth at Transylvania

Golf Places Fourth at Transylvania

The Kenyon golf team began their season at the Transylvania Invitational at the University Club of Kentucky, a 6,873-yard par-72 course that hosted 16 teams last weekend. The Lords finished tied for fourth in the tournament and shot a combined score of 890.

The tournament winner was Wittenberg College, shooting 20 strokes better than the Lords. The Tigers had proven themselves worthy of their top five Golfstat ranking—the official statistical ranking system of college golf—at the end of last season. Wittenberg was one of two top 25 teams to place above the Lords over the weekend.

The Lords team consisted of Lawrence Courtney ’21, Eric Lifson ’21, Andrew Kotler ’21, Ethan Manalo ’22 and Nick Lust ’22. While the team as a whole performed well, Lifson performed excellently, finishing tied for eighth place among the 88 golfers with a three-day score of 220 (+4). Lifson’s third round was exceptional, as he shot two strokes under par (-2) and birdied three straight holes on the back nine. Lifson, remaining humble, credited his outstanding performance in the third round to hard work.

“I was able to learn from my mistakes [from] the first two rounds and be sure not to repeat them,” he said.

Head Coach Grant Wallace sees this performance as a promising start to the season. “After our results this past weekend at Transylvania, I see no reason why we shouldn’t have success in each tournament, whether individually or as a team,” he said. While the ultimate goal for the team is to play well at the North Coast Athletic Conference (NCAC) championships at the season’s end, the Lords have four more tournaments in the next two months before their winter hiatus. The Lords’ next match will be at Adrian College (Mi.) on Sept. 13 and 14.