Field hockey relies on defense, allows no goals in three wins

The Kenyon Ladies field hockey team started a winning streak this week, defeating Oberlin College 7-0 on Saturday and Ohio Wesleyan University 1-0 on Wednesday. Both games took place at the brand-new Benson Bowl in front of the Kenyon Athletic Center.

The Ladies completely dominated the Oberlin Yeowomen, who did not record a single shot on net. In the first quarter, Sarah Metzmaier ’22 started off the Ladies’ flurry of goals with a hard shot into the net. As the quarter drew to a close, the game began to pick up pace.

Very quickly into the second quarter, Metzmaier scored another goal to continue the onslaught. Olivia O’Connell ’21 also contributed a goal, shooting straight down the middle of the field, knocking in her first goal of the season. Later in the quarter, Bella Kern ’23 rebounded the ball to score, followed by another goal from Emma Hyer ’22 to put Kenyon in a 5-0 lead.

During the second half of the game, Kenyon continued to dominate. Tara Shetty ’21 scored the sixth goal before Isabella Meneguizzi ’22 put the final goal of the game between the legs of the Oberlin goalkeeper, putting the Ladies in a 7-0 winning position.

In their 1-0 victory over Ohio Wesleyan University, the Ladies scored the only goal of the game in the 40th minute, as Kern recorded her third goal of the season off of a penalty stroke. The Ladies only allowed the Battling Bishops two shots in the second half.

The Ladies now sit at 4-2 on the season, and will look to continue their three-game winning streak against Rhodes College (Tenn.) on September 21 at 11:00 a.m. at the Benson Bowl.