Ladies finish strong, earn 4th seed in NCAC tournament

The Ladies celebrate a home win over Hiram.

It was a busy weekend for the Ladies softball team, as they hosted doubleheaders against both the Hiram College Terriers and the DePauw University Tigers. On Saturday, the Ladies faced off against the Terriers for a chance to secure their place in the North Coast Athletic Conference (NCAC) tournament.

After five innings in the first game, the score was 4-2 Hiram. Then, the Ladies’ bats caught fire as RBIs from Clare McMahon ’22 and Grace Finn ’21 quickly tied the game. Critical errors by the Terriers opened the floodgates for the Lords, who scored three more runs, securing a 7-4 victory.

Kenyon’s second game with Hiram was much more lopsided. Nicole Bishay ’22 started things off for Kenyon in the second inning with a two-run home run, the first of her career. The following inning, Grace Pilz ’19 and Sara Campagna ’22 both belted RBI doubles to extend the Kenyon lead to four. In the fifth inning, Pilz, Bishay and Lauren Graf ’20 combined to drive in four more RBIs to finish the offensive onslaught. Austen Whibley ’19 and Keely Sweet ’20 had strong performances on the mound, allowing just two runs combined, guiding the Ladies to an 8-2 win.

The DePauw Tigers were presented a much tougher challenge on Sunday. Tiger pitching was strong, shutting out the Ladies in both games. Keely Sweet ’20 was lights out for the Ladies, allowing just two runs to the Tigers in the first game of the doubleheader.

With this weekend’s results in the book, the seedings for the NCAC tournament have been determined: The Ladies have earned the No. 4 seed, and will have a rematch with No. 1 seed DePauw. The tournament will begin on May 3 at 12:30 p.m.