Softball earns three wins, can clinch NCAC berth Saturday

Emily Pater ’22 winds up for a pitch against the Allegheny Gators. Pater pitched a complete game, striking out five. | COURTESY OF KENYON COLLEGE ATHLETICS

With three out of four wins against the Allegheny Gators and Oberlin Yeowomen, the Kenyon softball team inched closer to a playoff berth. They need one win against Hiram College this Saturday to reach the NCAC playoffs.

The Ladies swept the Allegheny College Gators in a doubleheader on Tuesday. The 4-0 and 4-2 victories were the Ladies’ first wins against the Gators since the 2016 season. These two conference wins also ended the Ladies’ two-game losing streak. The Ladies split games against the Oberlin Yeowomen in a doubleheader on Wednesday.

In the first win against Allegheny, Emily Pater ’22 was nothing short of dominant. Pater pitched a complete game, allowing only one hit and striking out five batters. Meanwhile, the Ladies’ offense capitalized on Pater’s stellar performance. Clare McMahon ’22 hit a two-run home run in the second inning, and Lauren Graf ’20 drove in two runs in the third with a single.

In the second game, the Ladies’ victory didn’t come as easily. Trailing 2-1 into the seventh and final inning, the Ladies were able to mount a comeback, scoring three runs. Sara Campagna ’22 led the rally after being hit by a pitch with the bases loaded, tying the game 2-2. Third baseman Britny Patterson ’19 drove in the leading run with a single, capping off her three-hit performance.

Pater’s stellar play continued in the Ladies’ 7-2 win against the Oberlin Yeowoman on Wednesday. Pater pitched a complete game victory, highlighted by an inning-ending strikeout with the bases loaded in the bottom of the sixth.  This victory improved Pater’s record to 11-6 on the season. But the Ladies faltered in the second game of the doubleheader, allowing 5 runs in the first two innings, and eventually losing 8-2.

The Ladies now sport a 20-16 record, with their next matchup coming against the Hiram College Terriers on April 27, the Ladies’ Senior Day.