Lords tennis dominates in doubles, wins 5-4

Pascal Lee ’22, who helped secure two big wins for the Lords returns the ball in the one of his matches. In the doubles match, Lee and teammate Anatol Doroskevic ’19 dominated their opponents 8-2. In singles, Lee was able to secure his sixth straight singles victory in the No. 5 spot. He clinched the 5-4 win after he won two sets, 6-3 and 6-1. | SEJIN KIM/KENYON SID/NCAA

On Saturday, the Lords hosted Carnegie Mellon University, who came into the match ranked No. 15 nationally amongst National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) Division III teams. Kenyon’s contests with the Tartans have historically been close, and this one was no different: the Lords won 5-4, thanks largely to a 3-0 sweep of doubles play, continuing their domination in that area this season. 

The duo of Anatol Doroskevic ’19 and Pascal Lee ’22 provided Kenyon with their first match point, defeating Daniel Levine and Vayum Arora 8-2, which included a six-game undefeated run. Henry Barrett ’19 and Nicholas Paolucci ’19 recorded the same score as their teammates Doroskevic and Lee, defeating their Tartan opponents 8-2 as well. Finally, Jacob Zalenski ’20 and Austin Diehl ’20 were able to pull out a highly contested win after fighting back from a 4-3 deficit to prevail 8-5 over Chaz Downing and Nicholas Calzolano.

While the Lords conceded four of their six singles matches, Zalenski and Lee recorded two instrumental victories. Zalenski improved his record to 14-1 with his 6-1, 6-2 win over Levine. Lee provided Kenyon’s other decisive singles victory with a 6-3, 6-1 triumph over Clark Safran. The two match points gained in singles play, plus the sweep of the doubles, was enough to give the Lords the overall victory. 

Kenyon now looks ahead to the North Coast Athletic Conference (NCAC) Tournament, which will be held in Indianapolis. The Lords enter the tournament as the No. 1 seed and will face the No. 8 seed Wabash College in the first round on Friday. Should the Lords win all three of their NCAC Tournament games they will clinch the NCAC title for the 13th straight year and qualify for the NCAA Division III Tournament for the 18th consecutive year.