Lords baseball splits doubleheader to OWU

Jimmy Clark ’22 (No. 15) hit his first collegiate home run on Wednesday in the second game against Ohio Wesleyan University. Clark went 3-for-4 in the game, added three RBIs, and helped propel the Lords to their first NCAC victory. | FRANCIS BYRNE

A cool and windy Wednesday at McCloskey Field featured Kenyon baseball against Ohio Wesleyan University (OWU) in a doubleheader to open North Coast Athletic Conference (NCAC) play. The Lords were originally scheduled to face off against Hiram College on March 30 to commence conference play, but those games were postponed due to weather.

Patrick Craig ’21 started the first of the two games for Kenyon and tossed six-and-a-third shutout innings while punching out five and walking just one. It was a tightly contested game, with offense at a premium and no scores until the seventh inning, when a throwing error gifted OWU the first run.

The Lords answered in the following inning. Kenyon manufactured a run by plating Patrick O’Leary ’20 via a fielder’s choice. The late action continued in the final inning of the game, as the Battling Bishops’ DH Mitchell Johnson cleared the fences to put OWU up by one run.

Refusing to let that be the final word, Matt Contreras ’19 continued his prolific offensive campaign, knocking in Ryan Page ’21 with an RBI triple to tie the game at 2. The deadlock would hold until the 11th inning, when OWU scored two unanswered runs on an RBI single.

The second game of the two-game set saw Kenyon’s bats come alive. Two Lords recorded home runs: O’Leary and Jimmy Clark ’22. In the seventh inning, the Lords put up five runs on the Battling Bishops. O’Leary led the team offensively, going 3-for-4 and knocking 6 of Kenyon’s 10 runs.

Page and Clark also turned in three hits each. In addition to the offensive show, Kenyon was able to get it done on the mound, limiting OWU to three runs. 

Next, the Lords will travel for a doubleheader against the Wabash College Little Giants at 12 p.m. and 3 p.m.