Ladies lacrosse win streak ends, Lords earn the third seed

Matt Pollack ’21, right, shields the ball. | COURTESY OF KENYON COLLEGE ATHLETICS

Women’s

Last week, the Kenyon Ladies lacrosse team traveled to Greencastle, Ind., for a North Coast Athletic Conference (NCAC) matchup against DePauw University. The Ladies played a strong first half, allowing one goal but scoring eight. In the return home to McBride Field on Wednesday, Kenyon fell in a nailbiter to the College of Wooster 15-14, which was their first loss since Feb. 26 and broke the team’s 12-game winning streak.

Against DePauw, the first half saw Lucy Somers ’19, Cassie Hudson-Heck ’19 and Maya Fair ’22 score two goals apiece. Avery Morgan ’20 and Julia Mahoney ’21 each scored one. After halftime, the Ladies continued to build upon their solid lead. Somers and Fair netted two more goals each, and Hudson-Heck tallied one more on the day, securing the Ladies’ 13-5 victory over the Tigers.

“The defense really came together and capitalized on every clear and ground ball,” Kylie Daniels ’19 said. “We had great communication and connection on the field that we are hoping to transfer to our remaining games. We’re all really excited for our upcoming games and for the tournament.”

Last night, the Ladies played a back-and-forth game against Wooster. Kenyon came out firing on all cylinders and took a 4-0 lead within the first eight minutes, but the Fighting Scots stayed close the entire half and brought the game to 7-6 right before the halftime whistle.

The second half was even more tense as the Ladies and Fighting Scots battled for every goal they could get. After Kenyon fell behind 9-7 early in the second half, Fair scored off of a Mahoney assist, sparking the Ladies’ offense. Somers and Hudson-Heck each scored a pair to reclaim the lead 11-9. Trailing by two goals with 2:45 left in the half, the Ladies got two huge goals from Morgan. However, Kenyon fell short in the end by the score of 15-14 after the Scots converted a controversial free position shot.

The Ladies have one more regular season game at conference rival Denison University on April 27 at 1 p.m before the NCAC semifinals on May 2.

Men’s

The Lords concluded their regular season this week with two conference wins against Wabash College and the College of Wooster.

On Saturday, Kenyon traveled to Wabash, where the Lords scored the first seven goals of the game on their way to an 18-2 demolition of the Little Giants. Nick Vitale ’19 led the team in points, with one goal and four assists, while Emilio Sosa ’19 recorded three goals and an assist.

The Lords entered their final regular season game against Wooster with the hopes of securing a spot in the North Coast Athletic Conference (NCAC) semifinals. Kenyon had a slow start to the game, but turned it on in the second quarter by scoring seven goals, which brought them to a halftime score of 10-3.

The Fighting Scots made a run in the final quarter, but the Lords held them off for an 18-9 victory, which secured them the third seed in the tournament. Matt Pollack ’21 scored four goals, and Vitale posted another five-point game with one goal and four assists.

Sosa continued to show his scoring prowess by amassing a game-high six goals; he now ranks ninth in Lords history in single-season goals (39) and is tied for ninth in career goals (108). 

“We have been playing very well on both sides of the ball recently, but we still have yet to play our best,” Vitale said. “We are confident that we can win the [semifinal match] regardless of who we play.”

Unfortunately for the Lords, the game became chippy in the fourth, with defenseman Ken Byrnes ’21 taking a fighting penalty and a subsequent ejection from the game. Under National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) rules, Byrnes will face an automatic suspension for the Lords’ next intercollegiate game, which will be the semifinals of the NCAC tournament.

Their NCAC semifinals contest is next Thursday. As the No. 3 seed, Kenyon will face the loser of the Ohio Wesleyan University and Denison University matchup slated to take place this weekend.