Ladies lacrosse improves to 18-6, Lords get first NCAC win

Emilio Sosa ’19 (right) looks towards goal in the win last week. | COURTESY OR KENYON COLLEGE ATHLETICS

Women’s

The Kenyon women’s lacrosse team added another victory to their resume after their 18-6 win over the Allegheny College Gators. The Ladies dominated the matchup from the first whistle, scoring 10 first-half goals and only allowing three. They followed up with an equally dominant second half, where they scored eight more goals while the Gators only scored three.

Avery Morgan ’20 led the team with six points on three goals and three assists, which secured her the North Coast Athletic Conference (NCAC) Player of the Week award. Cassie Hudson-Heck ’19 scored five goals, giving her a career total of 202 points. Hudson-Heck is now fifth place for total points scored in Kenyon history. Lucy Somers ’19 also contributed five points, with a hat trick and two assists.

“The game went really well against Allegheny, and it was nice getting some redemption from last year,” Somers said. “We are excited to start off the season strong in NCAC play, and we are looking forward to having a successful Senior Day against Transylvania.”

The Ladies improved to 8-2 (2-0 NCAC) on the season and are taking on Transylvania College (8-3) for their Senior Day on Saturday at 1 p.m at McBride Field.

Men’s

Last Saturday, the Kenyon men’s lacrosse team traveled to Springfield, Ohio, for a North Coast Athletic Conference (NCAC) matchup against Wittenberg University. This victory moves the Lords to 6-4 on the season and 1-1 in the NCAC.

The Lords started the game off strong, scoring their first goal just two seconds in. From there they took a 6-1 lead, with Joe Woody ’19 getting three of those goals. However, Wittenberg did not give up and brought the score to 6-4. The end of the second quarter saw goals from Emilio Sosa ’19, Nick Vitale ’19 and Matt Pollack ’21, and the Lords took a 9-4 lead into halftime.

The Lords continued their strong offensive performance in the second half, with Pollack scoring two more goals. In addition, Sam Humphrey ’20 added a goal of his own to give the Lords a 12-4 advantage at the end of the third quarter.

In the fourth quarter, the Lords added two more goals and took a 14-4 lead with ten minutes left in the game. Wittenberg scored four goals in the last quarter, but the last-minute effort was not enough.

Pollack finished with a game-high four goals, while Woody and Humphery each registered a hat trick. Sosa and Vitale also scored two goals apiece. Defensively, David Metzger ’21 finished the game with 15 saves in-net, and Patrick Coughlin ’19 picked up a team-high eight ground balls.

“It was a complete game on both ends of the field,” said Coughlin. “Beating [Wittenberg] was a nice bounceback win and puts us in a good position as we move forward in conference play, where we have many crucial games.”

The next game for the Lords will see them travel to Hiram, Ohio, this Saturday to take on Hiram College in another NCAC matchup.