Ladies tennis earns crazy win versus Big Red

Daria Beshentseva ’22 returns a ball during the Ladies’ match against No. 28 Denison University. In the fourth spot, she earned a 6-0 win in the first set and rallied in the second set to beat her opponent 6-4. | COURTESY OF KENYON COLLEGE ATHLETICS

The No. 22-ranked Kenyon women’s tennis team was victorious in the Blue-Grey Invitational this past weekend, defeating No. 25 Washington & Lee University (6-3), and the No. 19-ranked University of Mary Washington (7-2). These consecutive games compose the second and third victories for the Ladies against ITA Division III top-25 opponents and the first Ladies victory against the Generals since 1998.

Facing the Washington & Lee Generals in their first game in the Invitational, the Ladies immediately secured two doubles wins. The No. 1 doubles team of Erika Oku ’21 and Maggie Sweeney ’19 dominated in a 8-3 win, and the team of Daria Beshentseva ’22 and Ilana Blackwood ’21 led the No. 2 doubles team to a hard-fought 8-6 victory.

The Ladies, up 2-1 after the doubles matches, were able to win 4 of the 6 singles matches. Among the victors were Oku (6-3, 6-2), Blackwood (2-6, 7-6, 6-1), Annie Reiner ’19 (6-4, 6-3) and Beshentseva (6-4, 7-5).

In the second match of the Invitational, the Ladies stormed out of the gate, winning all three doubles matches and five of the six singles flights.

In the following match, the Ladies were at home against North Coast Athletic Conference (NCAC) rival No. 28 Denison University, and secured a 4-3 victory. The deciding match came down to fifth singles match, where Kayla Pukys ’21 won 4-6, 7-6, 6-4.

The Ladies’ next match is against Case Western Reserve University Spartans at 5 p.m in the Jasper Tennis Center.