Ladies lacrosse dominates OWU, Lords split in two games

Maya Fair ’22 (left) puts a shot on net in the Ladies 20-5 win aainst OWU. | SEJIN KIM/KENYON SID/NCAA

Women’s

The Kenyon women’s lacrosse team earned a huge win this past Saturday at the North Coast Atlantic Conference (NCAC) opener when they beat the Ohio Wesleyan Battling Bishops 20-5. This win was the Ladies’ sixth in a row and leaves them 7-2 in total and 1-0 in conference.

Cassie Hudson-Heck ’19 led the team with a total of eight goals and was followed by Avery Morgan ’20 with a total of four goals.

The Ladies opened the game by scoring eight straight goals before Ohio Wesleyan earned their first. At halftime, the Ladies had a 10-goal lead with a score of 12-2, but there was more to come. The Ladies ended up scoring eight more goals, while Carina Barnes ’19 had three saves, earning herself the win despite being replaced by Genevieve Harding ’22 minutes before the end of the game.

While Ohio Wesleyan earned three more goals before the end of the game, the Ladies stayed strong. Aided by Sarah Griswold ’20 and Katelyn Schwartz ’21, the Ladies defense held the Battling Bishop’s offense to just 8 shots.

“The game went really well and we dominated in every aspect. It showed our potential, and I think it’s the beginning of a lot of success for [us] the rest of this season,” Alexis Redford-Maung Maung ’19 said.

The Ladies will aim to keep their winning streak as they face Allegheny College at home on McBride Field this Saturday, March 30.

Men’s

The Kenyon men’s lacrosse team traveled to Otterbein University on March 20 to take on the Cardinals. The Lords went into the contest with a 4-3 record, following a win against Albion College the previous weekend.

Kenyon was on fire against the Cardinals: They went into halftime with a 9-2 lead and did not look back, scoring another 10 goals in the second half to give them a commanding 19-4 victory. Will Harrigan ’21 led the team with 6 points after accumulating four goals and two assists, while Nick Vitale ’19 amassed a goal and three assists. Lords goalie David Metzger ’21 held his own in net, with 11 saves on 15 shots.

This past weekend, the Lords opened their North Coast Athletic Conference (NCAC) schedule against the Ohio Wesleyan University (OWU) Battling Bishops. The Lords struggled out of the gate, as OWU led 10-1 lead after the first half and never looked back. Kenyon did put pressure on their defense in the second half with the help of Reed Russell ’21, who went 18-23 at the face-off X. Despite this, the Lords ended up falling to the Battling Bishops 17-7. Of their seven goals, Sam Humphrey ’20 provided three while Vitale posted four more assists.

“I thought the Otterbein game was a really complete game out of us and it showed the team that we can actually play a full game against a good opponent,” Ben Bassett ’19 said. “Unfortunately, we couldn’t carry the consistency into the OWU game, and although we played well in the second half, it wasn’t enough.”

The Lords travel to Springfield, Ohio on March 30 for their next contest against Wittenberg University, another NCAC foe.