Ladies earn runner-up in a tight battle, Lords finish third

The Lords and Ladies swim and dive teams went to the national championship and finished second and third, respectively. | COURTESY OF KENYON COLLEGE ATHLETICS

Men’s

Last week, the Lords men’s swim team traveled to the Greensboro Aquatic Center in Greensboro N.C. to compete in the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) Division III Championships. The team earned a total of 447.0 points, giving them a third-place finish.

North Coast Athletic Conference (NCAC) rival Denison University came in first place with a total of 562.5 points followed by Emory University with 447.5 points.

In addition to the team’s solid finish, David Fitch ’21 was named the Division III Swimmer of the Year, making him the first Lord to earn this honor since Zachary Turk ’12 in his senior year. The Lords had qualified for several championship races: the 1,650-yard freestyle, the 200-yard backstroke and the 400-yard freestyle relay. In the 200-yard back, Mick Bartholomew ’20 finished with the best individual performance for the Lords, earning a fourth-place finish and a time of 1:46.55 and claiming 15 points for the team.

In the 1,650-yard free, Bryan Fitzgerald ’22 recorded a fifth place finish recording a time of 15:28.56, 12 seconds faster than his seed time. Soon after Fitzgerald finished the race, fellow Lord Connor Rumpit ’20 took sixth place with a time of 15:29.34.

Lastly, in the final event of the night, the Lords relay team of Fitch, Robert Williams ’19, Joe Black ’22 and Tommy Weiss ’20 finished the 400-yard free relay in third place, and a time of 3:00.00. The consolation finals saw strong performances from the Lords, as Humphrey Pruett ’19 won the 200-yard breaststroke and Weiss won the 100-yard free. Weiss, Black, Fitzgerald and Bartholomew all earned All American finishes during the meet. 

Women’s

After a long and exciting season, the Kenyon College Ladies concluded their year at the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) Division III Swimming and Diving Championship hosted in Greensboro, N.C. this past week. Over the course of four days and 20 different events, Emory University’s Eagles defeated Kenyon by a score of 488-479, claiming their 10th consecutive national title.

Despite the loss, Kenyon made women’s national championships history as they finished with the closest point margin — a mere 9 points — between the top two finishers: Kenyon and Emory.

By the last day of competition, Emory led Kenyon by a slim margin of 11 total points. Emory then surged ahead, racking up 43 combined points in the 100 and 1,650-yard freestyle events. But Kenyon rallied, earning 48 points in the 200-yard backstroke alone and taking the lead over Emory by 7 points.

Emory showed great fortitude toward the end of the meet, dominating in the final two events to secure the championship. The Eagles first placed fourth, ninth and 13th in the 200-yard breaststroke, regaining the lead over the Ladies, who earned points only from Andrea Perttula ’22 in 11th.

Despite the Ladies winning the meet-ending 400-yard backstroke relay, the Eagles finished just behind them in second, pushing the team to yet another national title.

The Ladies exhibited the same excellence they had all season highlighted by the tremendous individual showings. Crile Hart ’21 defended her title in the 200-yard backstroke with a time of just 1:56.62, becoming the third woman in Kenyon’s history to record back-to-back national titles. Kenyon’s other title came in the final race, the 400-yard backstroke relay, in which Hart was joined by Abby Wilson ’19, Hannah Orbach-Mandel ’19 and Emmerson Mirus ’21; the relay team broke a Kenyon record with a mark of 3:22.16.

Kenyon College coach Jess Book was named NCAA Division III Coach of the Year following the conclusion of the meet. This is Book’s second Coach of the Year award in just his seventh year as head coach. Meanwhile, for Wilson and Orbach-Mandel, their second-place finish is bittersweet. However, the two seniors finished their collegiate careers with 19 and 25 All American awards respectively. Both swimmers will be missed for their leadership and contribution to the program as the Ladies look to go back to the national championships next year.