Lords’ track and field focus on improving one step at a time

Qiyam Stewart ’21 sprints the fina leg for the Lords during the 4 x 400 relay at the All-Ohio Championships last Sunday. | COURTESY OF KENYON COLLEGE ATHLETICS

The Kenyon men’s track and field team participated in the All-Ohio Championships this past Saturday at Otterbein University. The Lords competed in four events at Clements Recreation Center in Westerville, Ohio and failed to place.

The Lords could not find their groove in field events on the track. Four runners took part in the distance medley: Jeremy Baier ’22, Cody Bratzler ’21, Ben Stillions ’22 and Paul Neubauer ’21. The relay squad, consisting of all underclass students, finished with a time of 11:05.20; this surpassed their seeded time by a second to give them 10th place in the finals. Kenyon finished approximately 5 seconds behind Wittenberg, who took eighth place, the final position at which a team can acquire points.

The 4 x 400-yard race yielded the same result as the previous relay: a 10th-place finish. The Lords were unable to hit their seed time of 3:34.29, crossing the line just over 5 seconds behind schedule at 3:39.50. The coveted eighth place fell to Wilmington with a time of 3:34.37.

The Lords didn’t fare much better off the track. Tanner Orr ’19, seeded to hit 6.46 meters in the long jump, had two jumps disqualified, leaving him with his only remaining jump of 5.62 meters. At his seeded distance, the long jumper would have earned a sixth-place finish and 3 points for the Lords, but as is he placed 15th.

Kenyon’s last  participant was Jordan Potter ’19 in the shot put, also competing in his final All-Ohio showcase. He fell short of his seeded throw distance of 14 meters, throwing 12.9 meters; two of his throws were also disqualified. A throw of 14 meters would have provided him with a 10th-place finish; he instead finished in 15th.

“Overall, from both teams, everyone just needs to keep improving and honing their skills as track and field athletes,” said head coach Duane Gomez. “The teams are very dedicated, diligent and hard-working, and these attributes will begin to pay off. We have been a bit behind with our first meet being cancelled, but are beginning to catch up.”

The Lords will have to regroup quickly, as they will host the Kenyon College Classic on the Toan Indoor Track on Feb. 16.