Lords and Ladies lacrosse both go to overtime in early season games

Maggie Grabowski ’20 looks to create offense against John Carroll. | SEJIN KIM/KENYON SID/NCAA

WOMEN’S

The Kenyon women’s lacrosse team had a busy week as they took on John Carroll University for their home opener on Saturday and the University of Mount Union on Tuesday. Both matchups came down to the final minutes and each game was separated by one goal. Unfortunately, the Ladies came up short in both.

In the season opener against John Carroll, the Ladies took an early 3-0 lead driven by Lucy Somers’ ’19 two early goals. The Blue Streak then struck back to make it 3-2. Both teams continued to trade goals for the rest of the game. At two minutes left, the Blue Streak led 10-9.

With 1:12 left in the game, Avery Morgan ’20 found the back of the net off an assist from Katelyn Schwartz ’21. This goal forced the game into overtime. Only a minute into the first overtime, John Carroll scored on the only shot taken in the extra period of play.

The Ladies’ next game against Mount Union began with slow starts for both team’s offenses, but turned into a thrilling contest after halftime. Kenyon was down 2-1 at the conclusion of the first half, with their lone goal coming from Sarah Griswold ’20 off a pass from Cassie Hudson-Heck ’19. The Ladies’ offense came out firing on all cylinders in the second half; they scored seven straight goals led by Julia Mahoney ’21, who snagged two goals and two assists. Mount Union responded with seven straight goals of their own, including the game-winner with 1:24 left.

The Ladies will play Baldwin Wallace University at home on Friday, before travelling to Sewanee, Tenn. for their spring break trip to play Birmingham-Southern University, Sewanee: The University of the South and Ursinus College.

MEN’S

Last Saturday, the Kenyon Lords lacrosse team traveled to Columbus, Ohio for a close defensive battle against Capital University in non-conference play. Through the heroics of Joe Woody ’19 and Matt Pollack ’21, the Lords were able to best Capital in overtime with a score of 8-7.

Declan Curry ’22 put the Lords on the board early on in the first quarter with the first goal of his Kenyon career. Later in the quarter, Sam Humphrey ’20 extended the Lords lead to 2-0. Despite the early deficit, Capital did not fold, scoring a goal to end the quarter with the Lords up 2-1.

Just under four minutes into the second quarter, Woody scored his first goal of the game and restored the Lords’ two-goal lead. Capital responded with a three-goal run, though, giving them a 4-3 lead heading into halftime.

To start the third quarter, Capital scored again to grab their first two-goal lead, but Kenyon quickly erased it: over the span of three minutes and 20 seconds, the Lords nabbed three goals from Emilio Sosa ’19, Will Harrigan ’21 and Nick Vitale ’19, reclaiming the slim lead. Capital answered again with two more goals, putting them ahead 7-6 with 10 minutes left in the game. Fighting for their lives with just two-and-a-half minutes left in regulation, the Lords turned to Woody, who scored his second goal and set the stage for overtime.

Both teams went back and forth in a chaotic overtime session with multiple scoring opportunities. Ultimately, it came down to the final 33 seconds of the game. Pollack converted his opportunity on net to lift the Lords to an 8-7 victory.

“We’re pretty happy to come out of Saturday with a gritty win,” Woody said. “But we have a lot to work out as a team. We’re looking forward to the upcoming opportunities to test ourselves against some competitive out of conference teams.” 

Looking ahead to spring break, the Lords prepare for stretch of games against non-conference opponents, prior to beginning North Coast Athletic Conference (NCAC) play on March 23.