Ladies’ track and field finishes 14th at Ohio Championships

Rosa Rumora ’19 runs a leg of the Ladies’ fourth-place distance relay in Sunday’s meet. | COURTESY OF KENYON COLLEGE ATHLETICS

This past weekend, the Kenyon Ladies’ indoor track team traveled to Westerville, Ohio to compete in the All-Ohio Championships at Otterbein University. The Ladies ended the weekend with 11 points and finished in 14th place overall.

The Ladies’ final score was a combined total of the distance medley, the high jump and the previous weekend’s pentathlon. They saw the most success in the women’s distance medley, with a fourth-place finish: their team of Quinn Harrigan ’19, Rosa Rumora ’19, Caitlyn Haas ’20 and Sophie Niekamp ’21 completed the race with a time of 13:02.10, behind Otterbein, Case Western Reserve University and North Coast Athletic Conference (NCAC) rival Ohio Wesleyan University. This contributed 5 points towards the team’s total.

In the high jump competition, the Ladies were led by Duffy Lemire ’21. Lemire was able to clear a height of 1.46 meters within her first three attempts, but she could not clear a height of 1.51 meters in her next three, which would have bumped her from 16th to 15th place. The other six points for the Ladies came from Abby McCarty ’22, who had finished in third place in the previous weekend’s All-Ohio pentathlon in Granville, Ohio. That was McCarty’s first collegiate pentathlon, and she fared well against a host of veteran athletes,  amassing a total of 2,636 points.

McCarty did not finish first in any of the five events, but she took runner-up in two: the 60-meter hurdles and the long jump. In the 60-meter hurdles, she clocked in a time of 10.01, and in the long jump, her best jump covered a distance of 4.87 meters. She also recorded two third-place finishes, in the high jump and the 800-meter run, clearing a height of 1.48 meters in the high jump and finishing 2:50.14 in the 800-meter run.

Next up for the Ladies is the Kenyon College Classic, which they will host on the pristine Toan Indoor Track at 12 p.m. on Saturday.