Ladies basketball loses to W&J, but dominates against OWU

Lane Davis ’19 backs down the OWU defender in the Ladies 80-58 victory over the Battling Bishops. | SEJIN KIM/KENYON SID/NCAA

Despite losing a non-conference game to Washington & Jefferson College 75-51 on Saturday, the Kenyon College women’s basketball team continued rolling in the North Coast Athletic Conference (NCAC) with a 80-58 victory over Ohio Wesleyan University (OWU). The victory marked their fourth straight conference win and helped them inch closer to a home playoff game and a top four seed with a win on Saturday.

The Ladies struggled last Saturday against Washington & Jefferson College; their offense floundered and they managed only four points in the second quarter of the game. 

The teams matched each other offensively in the first quarter. Washington & Jefferson got a huge boost from veteran Danielle Parker, who bolstered the Presidents’ lead over Kenyon to 22-17. The Ladies kept pace largely thanks to Paige Matijasich ’20, who scored seven points in the first 10 minutes.

In the second quarter, though, everything that could have gone wrong went wrong for Kenyon. The Ladies’ shooting percentage fell from 46.2% to just 12.5%, as they only scored four points in the entire quarter. Washington & Jefferson, on the other hand, scored 13 to end the half with a 35-21 lead.

Parker continued to shine for the Presidents and finished with a game-high 16 points. The team as a whole shot 49.1% on 53 shots from the field.

Matijasich finished with 14 points, making this her 27th consecutive game with double-digit scoring. Briget Molnar ’22 had an amazingly efficient night, going 6-7 for a season-high 13 points.

On Wednesday, the Ladies were looking to fix the problems they had against Washington & Jefferson in their match against possible first-round NCAC opponent Ohio Wesleyan. On Jan. 9, just one month prior, the Ladies had barely escaped Delaware, Ohio with a narrow 69-59 victory over OWU.

Unlike that meeting, the Ladies never came close to losing this second match with the Battling Bishops. They never trailed in the game, opening with the first seven points and never looking back from there. The Ladies led 40-23 at halftime and only increased their lead, finishing the game with a score of 80-58.

Matijasich continued her case for NCAC Player of the Year, adding another 21 points, five rebounds and two assists on 8-13 shooting. She also led the team from 3-point range, shooting 3-4 while the team as a whole shot 50% from beyond the arc.

In regards to tournament play, the Ladies will end up hosting a first-round matchup as either a No. 3 or No. 4 seed should they secure a victory against Allegheny College on Saturday. While Allegheny currently sits in a last-place tie with the College of Wooster, they will be fighting for their season, as a win would secure them an NCAC tournament spot over the Scots.

The Ladies will play their regular season finale at Allegheny on Saturday at 2 p.m. and find themselves in either Gambier, Oberlin or Springfield on Tuesday for the opening round of the NCAC tournament.