Ladies swim team beats Oberlin and ONU, falls to Oakland

COURTESY OF KENYON COLLEGE ATHLETICS

Last Friday, the Kenyon women’s swim team hosted Ohio Northern University at Steen Aquatics Center. The Ladies dominated the proceedings, beating the Polar Bears with a score of 170-59.

Every first-place finisher at the meet wore the Kenyon purple and black, with Emmerson Mirus ’21, Kendall Vanderhoof ’20, Crile Hart ’21, Hannah Orbach-Mandel ’19 and Abby Wilson ’19 leading the pack in multiple events.

In the 200-yard freestyle, the first five finishers were all Ladies. Wilson placed first, with a winning time of 1:52.96. Wilson would complete her day with two victories, hitting the wall first in the 200-yard backstroke later in the day (2:07.40).

The 50-yard freestyle resulted in a 1-5 smackdown, with the victor Orbach-Mandel finishing in 24.19 seconds. Vanderhoof claimed the No. 1 spot in the 400-yard individual medley early on and also won the 100-yard freestyle (53.10). The success on the day continued in the diving events: Juvi Rivera ’19 won on the three-meter board, racking up 152.93 points.

The Ladies ended their weekend against Oberlin College and NCAA Division I school Oakland University. Kenyon split the meets, dominating Oberlin in a blowout 134-44 but falling 187-113 in a hard-fought battle with Oakland’s Golden Grizzlies.

Mirus and Delaney Ambrosen ’19 dominated, with three victories between the two of them. Mirus swam with teammates Sarah Campbell ’20, Sydney Matteson ’20 and Katie Rossman ’21 to win the 200-yard medley relay. She also secured wins in both the 50-yard freestyle (24.87) and the 100-yard butterfly (1:00.41).

Ambrosen swam with Natalie Bresnahan ’20, Kate Alexy ’21 and Julia Green ’20, winning the 200-yard freestyle relay. She followed that up with a win in the 500-yard freestyle events. Kenyon racked up four more wins during the afternoon, an overall sound performance against one of their NCAC rivals.

Against the Gold Grizzlies, three of Kenyon’s swimmers were able to pull together six individual event wins. The Ladies’ first win was secured by Orbach-Mandel, who finished with a time of 1:51.91 in the 200-yard freestyle. Vanderhoof finished behind Orbach-Mandel by only two seconds, and also finished first in the 500-yard freestyle with a time of only 5:05.41.

The veteran Orbach-Mandel continued her very strong outing by winning the 100-yard freestyle. The Ladies also benefited from Hart’s excellent performance in the meet: Hart won both the 200-yard backstroke and the 200-yard individual medley with times of 2:02.99 and 2:05.49, respectively.

The Ladies will look to improve and come up with a big win this Friday as they host the University of Cincinnati at 5:30 p.m.