Both Kenyon track teams place sixth in their weekend meets

The Lords and Ladies track and field teams placed sixth at the Fighting Scots Invitational in Wooster, OH this past week. | COURTESY OF KENYON COLLEGE ATHLETICS

The Kenyon women’s track and field team traveled to The College of Wooster on Saturday to compete in the annual Fighting Scots Invitational, an event where the Ladies have finished in the top five for the past two years. The Ladies, despite only sending a limited roster to the event this year, still came up with one event win, 29 points and a sixth-place finish in the invitational.

The best results for the Ladies came from the distance runners, specifically the distance medley teams; the team of Lily Valentine ’19, Rosa Rumora ’19, Caitlyn Haas ’20 and Sophie Niekamp ’21 finished in 13:08.80 to win the event. Though one team from each school could score points for their college, Kenyon’s distance medley B team finished third, and the C medley team finished fourth.

In the 3,000-meter run, Andrea Ludwig ’19 finished third with a time of 11:14.29, while teammate Chloe Hall ’20 timed in at 11:25.38 to make sixth place. Meanwhile, Abby McCarty ’22 scored six points for the Ladies, placing sixth in both the 60-meter hurdles and the long jump. She recorded a 10.22 time for her hurdles, and her measured jump was 15 feet, 7 inches.

The Ladies’ next event is the Bob Shannon Invitational at Denison University on Feb. 2, beginning at 12 p.m.

Men’s

The Lords track and field team also competed in the Fighting Scots Invitational. The Lords finished the meet in sixth place with a total of 47 points.

The meet saw the Lords compete against several North Coast Athletic Conference (NCAC) opponents, such as Wittenberg University, Denison University, Allegheny College and The College of Wooster, the event’s host, as well as out-of-conference opponent Earlham College.

In the track events, Kyle Rose ’19 and Tommy Johnson ’20 were the top performers for the Lords. Rose came in second place in the 3,000-meter run, clocking in at 9:20.14, and was followed by two other Kenyon runners later in the pack: Will Oakley ’20, in sixth place with a time of 9:32.45, and Vincent Lewis ’20, in eighth with a time of 9:35.91. Johnson took second place in the mile run with a time of 4:44.84, followed by Thomas Guidotti ’21, who placed fourth with a time of 4:48.96.

In the field events, Jordan Potter ’19 finished second place in the shot put with a final throw of 13.76 meters. In that same event, Ifeatu Menakaya ’21 placed eighth place with a throw that was recorded at 12.11 meters.

Other strong performances for the Lords came from Tanner Orr ’19, who placed sixth in the long jump with a distance of 5.98 meters, and Cody Bratzler ’21, who took a fifth-place finish in the 400-meter dash with a time of 54.12. To round out a day of solid showings, Bratzler, along with teammates Kevin Towle ’19, Qiyam Stewart ’21 and Kyle Bower ’22, put together a respectable third-place finish in the 4×400-meter relay with a time of 3:37.70.

The next event for the Lords is on Feb. 2, when the team will travel to Granville, Ohio to face the Denison University Big Red in the Bob Shannon Invitational.