Lords basketball’s woes continue as first win remains elusive

Over the weekend, the Lords basketball team traveled to Granville, Ohio for a North Coast Athletic Conference (NCAC) matchup with Denison University. The Lords put up a strong fight against Denison, but ended up falling to the Big Red 70-61.

At the end of the first half, the two teams headed into the locker tied at 30-30. When they returned to the court for the start of the second half, the Lords jumped out to an early lead with a three-pointer from Matt Shifrin ’19 and several free throws from Alex Cate ’20. However, this lead did not last, as Denison found an answer to Kenyon’s early scoring success, tying the game up again at 35-35. The rest of the game was a constant back-and-forth between the two teams, but Denison’s ability to heat up from long range ended up being crucial in their win.

With 8:19 left in the game, Denison made three consecutive three-pointers, taking a 55-45 lead. As time ran down, the Lords trailed by double digits, and the team was forced to start fouling. This strategy proved to have some success, bringing them within five points with about five minutes left, but this was not enough for the Lords. Denison would end up going eight of 10 on their free-throw attempts by the end of the game.

From behind the arc, Denison went 8-22 while Kenyon went 12-33. Four Lords players finished the game with double digits: Shifrin finished with 19 points on the day, while teammates,  Elijah Davis ’22, Christian Watanabe ’22 and Cate finished with 13 points, 11 points and 10 points, respectively.

Last night, the Lords went to Muskingum University to face off against The Fighting Muskies. The Lords fell by a score of 86-60. Davis and Cate led the team with 10 points a piece. Cate also  added nine rebounds to his statline as well. It was an overall rough game for the Lords as they were down by 22 going into halftime. They never could get anything going offensively only shooting 35.5% from the field.

Looking ahead, Kenyon will face Wittenberg University on Saturday, Dec. 15 at Tomsich Arena. Then they will have to wait three weeks before playing their next game on Jan. 5 against Allegheny College.